Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

f/s: COHERENT FIBER COUPLD LASER DIODE 830 nm 750 mW

If you search ebay I have acquired a:
"NEW COHERENT FIBER COUPLD LASER DIODE 830 nm 750 mW"

It is a pigtailed laser diode, originally it was terminated with an ST jack but I cut the fiber when the end got messed up doing cutting experiments.

Although it is NIR you can see the spot when it is on. NIR is of course very dangerous and this is a very powerful Class IV laser.

I was doing some experiments cutting kapton with it and while it does work for that, it isn't ideal. I pulsed it over spec with my bench agilent linear power supply, to see what pulse cutting would be like. This may have degraded the performance over spec, but if you need an NIR fiber laser for something feel free to PM me and make an offer.

Edit:

I went into my university and recleaved the fiber with a diamond scribe, by nicking it and then having it break by bending, that is the best kind of cleave I can do in my lab as I don't have special tools for fibers.

I measured the power output at 1A to be 20 mW that is about 40x lower than it should be. Voltage is correct. That probably means either the junction is damaged or the fiber is broken up closer to the pigtail. Though it is curious I can still see a 830 nm laser with such a low power... The meter was a thermal coherent meter so I don't think I really could have anything set wrong though...

The threshold was still about at spec and the power got started off fine, I think the junction might just be breaking down at higher fields, causing an infection in the efficiency slope.

It isn't worth any more of my time to characterize, if you want it, assume it is a nicely coupled low power near IR laser.

Last edited:

If the condition of the laser is unknown it's really had to guess how much it's worth. I'm interested, but not in a risky laser.

Okay I went in and measured the laser at my university, please see my edit above.