Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Extent of "waterproof"?

Hello, I recently bought Powerful Crown upgrade 500mW green laser torch/waterproof [OL-532-500] - $274.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce from O-Like. :)

I would like to know the extent of "waterproof". Does this mean I can submerge it completely in water? Or can I just use it and point it straight up when it's raining? :thinking: What makes it waterproof or is it just a selling tactic?

If someone can tell me what "waterproof" really means when it comes to lasers that would be great, thanks! :thanks:

Jaseth

Most likely the laser is sealed with o-rings and a diode window and can be safely submerged in a few feet of water. If it could only withstand rain it would be referred to as "water resistant". I can't guarantee that it is not just a selling tactic, but o-like have a decent reputation here and the host does look like it could be waterproof.
I would recommend submerging it for a while without batteries when you receive it to make sure there are no leaks. If water gets in, let it dry thoroughly before inserting the batteries again.

Last edited:

DJNY

There are different types of lasers being waterproof.

There is the type where the laser is a bit more covered against water splash and weak rainfall.

Second type are lasers we know from Chinese sites (O-Like, Focalprice..) that are waterproof down to ~5feet (I won´t count on that). It´s the host, the lense (lower the power) and the so called O-ring that provides the waterproofness.
But honestly, I had two so called "waterproof" lasers which died after the first and second underwater-photosession (the O-Ring was a bit twisted at the second one).
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/r...r-lazerer-lzcb532-100-a-65718.html#post943596

The third type of lasers (I didn´t experienced with this type yet) are underwater-laser. There is a site around who sells this kind of lasers for example. A member posted the link, but I forgot where it was.

Conclusio, if you want to take underwatershots, more than one time, I would ask here for a link to such a underwater (type3 laser in my classification). Personally I wouldn´t use the O-Like laser underwater, it´s more for type1 situations.

----

All in all it´s just my few, other members might had other experiences.

Last edited: