Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Evolution Pro 5mW Vs. Lyra-B5 5mW

What is the difference?

What I am saying is that the window will get dirty more easily than the lens in a pen laser with no window.

I have good results with using silicone tail caps over the aperture of my pen lasers to keep dust out 100%.
I don't think that the Evo's window is a deciding factor, personally.

I just don't see the advantage of a large 5mW laser over a compact 5mW laser.

The difference , to me, would be that if i scratch the lens i would be more upset than if i scratched the window. This is just my opinion on the host.

The larger host to smaller host difference is just what the OP prefers.

I think its just an esthetics thing. Do you like the larger more rugged looking EVO or the classy sleek Lyra. .

I have both . I can speak from experience that cleaning the lens on the lyra is a PITA compared to the EVO.

This might be a dumb question, but why do you want a expensive laser?

for what you are doing,why not get something cheap, like this? Is it looking cool worth 50 dollars when you could get one that works just as well as a 10 dollar one?

Just my opinion.

And that is why you have a 5mw red from staples and i chose to build a 300mw red DIY. Its just what you prefer.

Last edited:

I'm not saying he should get the Dx over the lyra or evo, I'm just giving him other choices. For what he told me, I would get the dx, just my opinion.

Also, I would much rather have a 300 mW than the red from staples. Even though I have it, me putting that in my signature was more of a joke than my "favorite" laser.

Razako

The problem with the dx and other cheap 5mw greens is that they're normally way overspec and not eyesafe. The op might want an actual class IIIa <5mw pointer that he can safely play around with.

Moptsp

Just get the lyra lol. Your not going to be burning things. So as long as your not using it in lots of smoke or very humid places, the worst your going to get on your lens is dry dust. At least this is all I have ever had problems with. You can easily clean a lens that has dry dust particles with an air thruster/blower.