Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

EMP / HERF / Marx Generator

LSRFAQ

Much more then a few watts of 2.4 Ghz gets you cataracts, fast.... Both the instant " protein getting cooked" and long term types.

Before you go shooting 2.4 Ghz on anywhere but a carefully set up test range, you had best run the volts per meter numbers and use SABOR to calculate the field and pattern at the end of your horn.. I'm amazed that the people who play with Magnetrons on Youtube still have corneas... I'm amazed they do not get caught by reflections to the face..

As for phasing, better get a spec an, and circulators and a RF sampling bridge.

One of the NARDA microwave safety monitors might be a great idea..

Steve

JLSE

What makes me think is when I see a guy as seen in the YT video, standing to the side of the MT, and placing the light bulb on the tip...

HE obviously assumes that the energy comes out of the tip rather than the side. How nothing got roasted and the video did not end with him screaming in pain is beyond me.

I have a portable frequency counter that I use for tuning jammers in the same freq range as this project (2.45ghz). It also has a field strength bar in the display that I will be using to detect leakage.

I'm not too concerned with the numbers coming out the horn, so long as they aren't emitted from the sides and back. Testing will be done in an isolated area free of people and cute little squirrels.

As for reflections, you should see some of the pics I have found with people experimenting indoors, in front of objects like a fridge. Even if they do not develop cataracts, any exposure is bad exposure, and will be avoiding any, at all costs.

I was thinking of making a pair of goggles with the mesh from the microwave oven's door. Not sure how difficult it will be to see through, but extra protection is always a good idea.

Much more then a few watts of 2.4 Ghz gets you cataracts, fast.... Both the instant " protein getting cooked" and long term types.

Before you go shooting 2.4 Ghz on anywhere but a carefully set up test range, you had best run the volts per meter numbers and use SABOR to calculate the field and pattern at the end of your horn.. I'm amazed that the people who play with Magnetrons on Youtube still have corneas... I'm amazed they do not get caught by reflections to the face..

As for phasing, better get a spec an, and circulators and a RF sampling bridge.

One of the NARDA microwave safety monitors might be a great idea..

Steve

What you need is an aluminum hat and shorts...:crackup:
Just hold a 4" flourescent tube between your teeth..
and when it lights up........... YOUR TOO CLOSE...:na:

Jerry

JLSE

Im working on the foil lined boxers right now!!

The hats a given, gotz plenty of those already...

foilhat.gif

What you need is an aluminum hat and shorts...:crackup:
Just hold a 4" flourescent tube between your teeth..
and when it lights up........... YOUR TOO CLOSE...:na:

Jerry

Benm

Dont get overly alarmed by microwave danger either. If you enter dangerous exposure levels, you will be aware of it. The exact sensation is diffcult to describe, but it equates to feeling the heat - somewhat like what you feel near a campfire, but without the obvious source.

When this sensation occurs, its time to back off a bit. Microwave radiation is essentially very benign, its only the 'getting cooked' extreme exposure that poses any danger to tissues.

The one exception is the eye, that can heat up quite rapidly for its lack of cooling. At any distance, you'd feel the microwave heat on the rest of your face too a know whats going on, but if you really look down a waveguide that might be too little too late as a warning.

If you want to play dangrous, at least put your hand in the spot you intend to put your eye first. If you feel anything at all, dont go take a peek!

KiLLrB

Dont get overly alarmed by microwave danger either. If you enter dangerous exposure levels, you will be aware of it. The exact sensation is diffcult to describe, but it equates to feeling the heat - somewhat like what you feel near a campfire, but without the obvious source.

When this sensation occurs, its time to back off a bit. Microwave radiation is essentially very benign, its only the 'getting cooked' extreme exposure that poses any danger to tissues.

The one exception is the eye, that can heat up quite rapidly for its lack of cooling. At any distance, you'd feel the microwave heat on the rest of your face too a know whats going on, but if you really look down a waveguide that might be too little too late as a warning.

If you want to play dangrous, at least put your hand in the spot you intend to put your eye first. If you feel anything at all, dont go take a peek!

Would aluminum, or some other metal, coated googles/glasses work to prevent this?

JLSE

From what I gather, aluminum glasses would have to be so thick to protect, you would not be able to see through them.

But that wouldn't really matter with a direct hit as the foil would probably burn up in a similar fashion to a CD.

I think the screen from the inside of the door unaltered would be the best bet. I have 405nm filters like this from Edmund optics, there is a very fine screen in the center of the glass that only permits the 405nm through. The screen on the MW door, seems to be the same principle.

*Edit> Forgot I had a pic of the optic with the screen.
1326-p1070630.jpg

Last edited:

Benm

Any kind of electrically conductive glasses would help to some degree. They could be mesh, like microwave oven windows, or perhaps even indium coated glass (like the electrical contacts in lcd screens).

At some point they would fail, perhaps in the same way a CD does inside a microwave oven, but that'd be a few orders of magnitude above the 'couple of watts' danger level.