Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay laser goggles

SMIDSY

Ok guys I've found a pair of laser glasses for $50 incl shipping that can apparently protect from:

Wavelength (nm) OD
266 4+
488-414.5 4+
441.6 4+
532 4
L808,810 2+
904,980 4+
1064 4+
1510,1530,1610 4+
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220219444107&_trksid=p2759.l1259

so Im thinking of buying them and then testing them against WL goggles- anyone know how I can easily do that?

Or am I being harsh and these really are the holy grail of goggles...

chido

I wouldn't trust zonestealth since he's been known to sell crappy procucts in the past.
The only safe way to test them is to get a laser power meter and test each wavelength separately.

SMIDSY

Dont have a power meter :(

Ok ill leave them but how can these goggles exist for this price- I dont think they can?

Are all goggles on Ebay the same- rubbish?

chido

They exist because he's probably getting in them in bulk for cheap from some supplier in china.
Mliptack was selling goggles that blocked from 450nm to 650nm a while ago for 50 bucks each. He was getting them in bulk from laserwave.

JLSE

I hope that they can provide some protection, I ordered these and will pass it on when they arive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...item=110235719376&_trksid=p3984.cWON.m313.lVI

The description below is from the sale page and the text has me slightly worried, but for the price, its worth a try. :)

808nm laser protecting goggles
These glasses are used to protect your eyes from the laser beam with the wavelength of 808nm.
Our goggles have been text strictly and it's pretty sure that they can work very well in protecting eyes. Besides, they are really very cool. You will find that they are much more nice than the picture when you get them.
Attention: Never look at the laser straightly and let the beam get into your eyes directly even with the protecting goggles.

I've ordered the Multi-wavelength goggles and will test them with the Kenometer when they arrive. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cheers, CC

SMIDSY

Curiously_Coherent said:
I've ordered the Multi-wavelength goggles and will test them with the Kenometer when they arrive. I'll keep y'all posted.

Cheers, CC

cheers, from ebay?

That will be brilliant also post which pair you bought and who from and if you don't mind how much :)

...and it's pretty sure that they can work very well in protecting eyes. Besides, they are really very cool.

Pretty sure they CAN work very well??? Well at 808nm they better work well. Because 808nm is used as a pumping source, those diodes are generally much more powerful than your average visible laser. Maybe it's their translator program but when it comes to safety in general, the words "pretty sure" should not appear.

These glasses are manufactured in China which is not necessarily a bad thing but what is important in a protective goggle/glasses is that it be FDA or CE approved. This means it has been tested to those standards. If they are FDA/CE rated there will be a certificate included with the glasses. If not, well then I can be "pretty sure" they may or may not work. Now that's the hard way to find out if they work.

When you guys test them you need to measure pass-through within each advertised band and see if they hold up for at least 10 seconds of direct exposure. This does not mean melting the lens, it means bleaching the dye or destroying the dielectric. I recommend looking up the appropriate FDA or CE requirements so you can try to meet their testing standards. A meter that can chart output will provide the best results. DO NOT put them on and look at diffuse or reflected light as a means of testing. Any sufficiently dark lens will lower the input to your eye on diffuse or reflected light. The problem lies in direct exposure. If you take an accidental shot to the eyes you may find that they do not protect as they should. By then, it's too late.

My company sells lasers and safety equipment worldwide. One thing you won't find is me jumping in every time someone wants to buy a laser. I am not here to sell lasers to enthusiasts. My passion, on this site, however, is safety. I generally jump in on eye safety discussions because it is absolutely imperative that anyone operating a laser have the proper eye protection. This is not just because of the laser operator but because the ability of the enthusiast to have high powered laser systems hangs by a string. Many countries have outright banned the use of high powered lasers by hobbyists. I know the FDA is looking at the issue.

"You buy cheap, you get cheap." Laser glasses are expensive due to the research into the organic dyes used as the filter and the requirements applied by governments. That is a fact of life. The responsible enthusiast knows this and understands that providing the proper protection is as important as selecting a laser. The price of protective glasses is the cost of laser ownership. Never consider buying one without the other.

Sorry Smidsy! :-[

I was in a bit of a hurry when I made that post... I bought the ones you pointed out. Thanks for bringing those to my attention! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] (I figured he would have more than 1 pair so I didn't think I'd scoop anyone)

I may be getting a similar (but better quality) pair from OEM, (if Frothy ever checks that thread again... :D) so I might re-sell these after testing them if they are just okay quality. (I'll make sure to test the lenses near the edge to avoid damage) I really need a pair of goggles suitable for when I'm using my 5 colours together, so this will be a great value if they do what they say.

Cheers, CC

SMIDSY

Curiously_Coherent said:
Sorry Smidsy! :-[

I was in a bit of a hurry when I made that post... I bought the ones you pointed out. Thanks for bringing those to my attention! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] (I figured he would have more than 1 pair so I didn't think I'd scoop anyone)

I may be getting a similar (but better quality) pair from OEM, (if Frothy ever checks that thread again... :D) so I might re-sell these after testing them if they are just okay quality. (I'll make sure to test the lenses near the edge to avoid damage) I really need a pair of goggles suitable for when I'm using my 5 colours together, so this will be a great value if they do what they say.

Cheers, CC

Excellent! if they check out let me know and i may just but them from you :D

What I really need is the IR (both types) and 532nm protection more than anything :)

try not to melt them lol

Let me knwo Im really curious ;D

If they dont check out COMPLAIN LIKE HELL :D

also you spelt colour with a U where in the UK are you from :) ?

SMIDSY said:
also you spelt colour with a U where in the UK are you from :) ?

Alas, I'm from the Northern colonies... where we still speak the Queen's English... :D (Canada actually!) ;D

Cheers, CC

SMIDSY

Curiously_Coherent said:
[quote author=SMIDSY link=1207151436/0#9 date=1207158410]also you spelt colour with a U where in the UK are you from :) ?

Alas, I'm from the Northern colonies... where we still speak the Queen's English... :D (Canada actually!) ;D

Cheers, CC[/quote]

lol :)

ive always wanted to go to Canada!

So you speak the real English then :p

SMIDSY

I spoke to zonestealth, he said that if they wern't advertised you could send them back (at your own cost) and then after a 15% restocking fee get a refund... :-?

I then pointed out that this would then be an item not as described case and then paypal could intervene... ::) when pressed harder he said:

"hi, of course they have protection as advertised! each time we have new product, will send to the lab run the test, make sure they have same protection as advised by the factory!

kenny"

I cant be bothered to press harder! he seems confident... I eagerly await the lab results guys!! :)

I don't know about goggles for that wavelength from Zonestealth; but late last year I did buy a pair of goggles from them for both blue and green lasers.

Those goggles I am very happy with (though I will say that if you're in a hurry DON'T buy from them - it took a little over a month to receive the goggles - that I wasn't happy about at all) - they almost fully block the beam of my 532 nms, my 488 argon and my 473 DPSS blue. Up close I can only see the dot of any of those lasers on white paper, and it is rather dim.

So IMO those particular goggles are a decent deal if you've got time on your hands and don't mind waiting....

SMIDSY

so fleabay laser goggles might actually work?!

thats a bargain then... im going to wait for the lab results from cc though :p

Just got 'em from Zonestealth. He's quicker shipping than DX! I'm at work and won't have time for the meter test and pix until Sunday, but here are some first impressions:

- Packed in just an envelope, no padding. However the case is pretty robust.
- Nice case and cleaning cloth similar to WL goggles, labelled "Eagle Pair".
- Label on case says EP-1 / 200-540nm / 800-2000nm and a bunch of chinese I can't translate.
- Glasses themselves have same label but are impressed with the code EP6080.
- Glasses are pretty solid and nicely made. Frame looks like standard plastic with Glare shields and ear hooks of softer rubbery plastic.
- Nice injection moulding with only a few sprues requiring trimming with knife. Nice feel to rubbery bits.
- Really nice fit. (and I have a large head) Impossible to use with glasses. Need contacts.
- Ventilation holes for rubber surround nicely integrated into design.
- Good visibility, similar to my prescription Ray-Ban lenses. Definitely not OD4 however.
- Quick test with my handy KD50mW reduced dot to approx. 5% (just a guess based on visual difference, I'll test with meter later) So I'm thinking OD1.5-2 at most. That being said, I want these goggles for alignment so this is actually what I was hoping for.
- In a well-lit room you can still see to move around and see the laser dot. Nice reddish-brown tint, again, like Ray-Bans.
- Passes the "looks-cool" test with sk8trboi co-workers, who did not laugh or say WTF?! ;D

So far I'm impressed. I think these will be great for alignment and will easily handle lens reflections and spurious IR (The acid test of that will be a meter test with Lorgar's 1600+mW IR burning beast) but for protection against direct hits, not so much. If you play in such a way that you could get a direct hit to the eye then these will not do the trick, go for a pair of the OEM multi-wavelength from Frothy.

I'll have more data at the 5 wavelengths that I have when I do the meter testing, (by Monday hopefully) which will tell whether they are as multi-wavelength as they claim. So stay tuned.

Cheers, CC