Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ebay 5-20mw 405nm diodes testing

hello everyone around 2 months ago i bought 3 of those 1dollar 5-20mw 405nm diodes that ebay has, there was no info at all,no datasheet or any recommended current so first i had to find the pinout.
after some testing i found that those are case negative,i made a power test with my psu and things got abit weirder,it passed the 20mw by far and while i was incresing the current i didnt noticed any foldback.

here is the quick testing video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21comsQn1ds&feature=youtu.be

sorry for the bad quality,my phone isnt that great :angel:

after the video i did pushed it up to 150ma and gave 232mw!! :eek:
attachment.php

my question is what the hell are they selling on ebay?are this supposed to be a 5-20mw diode?probably i could push it more as it didnt fold back at all.
anyone else ever tried those cheap diodes? this looks like to me a stronger diode...

Attachments

• IMG_20171002_084927.jpg
    IMG_20171002_084927.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Why is your LPM in a plastic bag...
Static is not good for electronics...

Jerry

Why is your LPM in a plastic bag...
Static is not good for electronics...

Jerry

i have it in the zip bag because i dont like to touching it with my hands because of static. do you have something better to suggest me?

Last edited:

diachi

i have it in the zip bag because i dont like to touching it with my hands because of static. do you have something better to suggest me?

Keep it in an anti-static bag. Pick up the board by the edges, don't hold it while using it. Touch something that's earthed before touching the board to discharge any static.

Better yet, get a case for it.

Keep it in an anti-static bag. Pick up the board by the edges, don't hold it while using it. Touch something that's earthed before touching the board to discharge any static.

Better yet, get a case for it.

would it cause any problems to have it in a antistatic bag while using it?i wish to had a nice case for it but from what i know there arent any yet

Last edited:

diachi

would it cause any problems to have it in a antistatic bag while using it?i wish to had a nice case for it but from what i know there arent any yet

You'd take it out of the bag to use it.

Just ground yourself first if you want to be extra careful. Unless you live somewhere with very low humidity (like here) then I wouldn't worry about it too much first.

Reactions: GSS
You'd take it out of the bag to use it.

Just ground yourself first if you want to be extra careful. Unless you live somewhere with very low humidity (like here) then I wouldn't worry about it too much first.

thanks for the info diachi i'll use a normal antistatic bag from now on :yh: