Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Early Homebrew Laser

Eidetical

In recognition of Father's Day, I thought I'd give a shoutout to possibly the Father of DIY Laser Building, C. Harry Knowles of Metrologic. Check out his biography "Genius in America" by Mary Ellen Hendrix for more info. His article in the December 1969 Popular Electronics (seen below with one of his early tubes) really started the hobby. A great example is seen below featuring a start button, excellent craftsmanship, and purple paint that screams the early '70s. And from a technical conference from around the same time, a pointer built by John Hall.:)

Metrologic Tube Set.jpg

Metrologic Homebrew.jpg

Metrologic Homebrew Front.jpg

Metrologic Homebrew Rear.jpg

Hall Pointer.jpeg

Eidetical

The introduction of laser disk players and supermarket scanners in the late '70s incorporating He-Ne lasers really stimulated DIY laser building. Here's a very well built laser made in 1985 by Mr. Tony Gongora with a tube harvested from such a player. I got it along with his notes on the project.

Tony Gongora.jpg

Tony Gongora Inside.jpg

Last edited:

atomd

Thanks for post, reminds me about HeNe at our university that's over 50 years old and still working. Possibly one of the oldest models that still work.

Eidetical

Another '80s homebrew laser with a harvested Toshiba tube is this one built by Mr. Scott Cristensen.

Scott Cristensen Homebrew.jpg

Another '80s homebrew laser with a harvested Toshiba tube is this one built by Mr. Scott Cristensen.

View attachment 76150

I used a Pioneer laser disc player's tube and supply to build a 632.8 nm laser that I used in 1980 to make holograms with. That was my first laser and made quite a few reflection holograms. Gave it to my daughter years ago and it broke after falling out of her closet. ;)