Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eager New Member

R4VEN

Hello LPF! I'm a 17 year old person with high testosterone (aka a male šŸ¤£:p) named Elon, finally preparing to do a laser build. Before I really use this forum, I wanted to know whether I am allowed to be on here as a minor. I consider myself to be very safe with lasers, and I treat them like I would a firearm (trigger discipline, muzzle control, etc.) I read the rule and guideline threads. I have also read many articles on laserpointersafety.org and am now thoroughly terrified at the prospect of hurting someone unintentionally or getting arrested for something stupid. My dad did something similar to this when I first started using power tools when I was twelve. He showed me rather graphic safety videos for construction sites and made me learn the danger in these powerful tools. I think I'm ready to own a high powered laser now. I have some goggles from survival lasers with a high OD rating in my cart and a dream to make a laser rifle. I wondered if there could be an exception to the 18+ rule for this website. The laser rifle I'm intending to build would be 350mw (I don't want to deal with the dangers of class IV). I mainly want it to admire the beautiful beam and impress my friends, although I would like to burn some random junk with it. šŸ˜‰;) My parents would be fine with this btw, I've done more dangerous projects in the past. I have been obsessed and perplexed with lasers since I was little and it's been a lifelong dream to own a high powered laser of my very own. I've watched and rewatched hours and hours of StyroPyro videos in my quest for laser satisfaction, but now the drug is wearing off and I need to have one of my own. I will be eternally grateful to be a part of this website and look forward to seeing all of you, whether now or later once I turn 18.Hiccup2.jpeg (Me with a friend)

-Sincerely, Elon, guzzler of Arizona green tea and devourer of Panda Express

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yes we can bend the rules a bit for ya. You seem to have an understanding of safety which is why we have an 18+ rule. Styropyro videos tend to be mostly for clickbait but if you want to take the hobby seriously you'd do good to learn from reading on here and other various reputable sources on your endeavor to building that laser.
Good to have ya.

R4VEN

Yes we can bend the rules a bit for ya. You seem to have an understanding of safety which is why we have an 18+ rule. Styropyro videos tend to be mostly for clickbait but if you want to take the hobby seriously you'd do good to learn from reading on here and other various reputable sources on your endeavor to building that laser.
Good to have ya.
Thanks man it means a lot to be on here. I'm so happy! I've started to notice too that StyroPyro's videos are starting to get more clickbaity, but I can't really blame him for that as this is most likely his main source of income to make videos. I have a special place in my heart for him and his videos as they were the start of my obsession with this hobby. His second channel has more technical information and is less clickbaity. Can't wait to get started on the build. But first, sleep, it's late at night here lol. Tomorrow I have a lot of Ebay orders to complete. :D

Welcome to the LPF. Hope you stay safe and enjoy your stay. I'm a bit older than you, but saw my first laser in high school. It was a military ruby laser that was fired at a large blue balloon across a stage. The beam was very visible and turned the balloon red as it burst. Been interested in them ever since. Actually wrote an article for my school newspaper when the first ruby laser was developed.