Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX - Universal 30M Visibility Safety Warning Red Laser Tail Fog Lamp

djQUAN

Metryq

The unit appears to be a "laser level" style diffraction lens to produce a red line. I'm guessing the intention is to create a line behind the vehicle that will then become visible across the hood of anyone who tailgates.

Gimmicky, distracting, a potential glare hazard, etc. Besides, it's been my experience that people who tailgate need to be whacked with a 2x4 to get the message across. A laser line won't get their attention—or they'll take it as a cue to stay inside that warning zone so they can play with the laser. "Hey look, I'm a UPC code! Scan me!" Mouth-breathers.

Heh. 5 watts. Sure.

I'd bet on your standard 100-200mW red at best. Even if it was 5W, your tail-lights are far more visible. This device is not street legal in the US.

joeyss

Heh. 5 watts. Sure.

I'd bet on your standard 100-200mW red at best. Even if it was 5W, your tail-lights are far more visible. This device is not street legal in the US.

But red IS the international SOS symbol something to remember if you ever go boating/hiking you may want a focacsable waterproof 638nm.
In fact someone was saved by waving a red laser around at a helicopter and I used my 50 mw 660nm with poor divergence to imitate a road flare and warn drivers there's a tree down ahead when the electric went out from a storm. I just flashed it a few times in the road to get thier attention when they were like 80 feet away. cause most people speed by over the limit.

joeyss

Unusual or extraordinary appearance[edit]

s
When none of the above-described officially sanctioned signals are available, attention for assistance can be attracted by anything that appears unusual or out of the ordinary, such as a jib sail hoisted upside down.
During daylight hours when the sun is visible, a heliograph mirror can be used to flash bright, intense sunlight. Battery-powered laser lights the size of small flashlights (electric torches) are available for use in emergency signalling.

I know I red somewhere red is the international recognized symbol I mean flares are red and flare guns fire red flares.

n North America, marine search and rescue agencies in Canada and the United States also recognize certain other distress signals:
Sea marker dye
White high intensity strobe light flashing at 60 times per minute
A floating man-overboard pole or dan buoy can be used to indicate that a person is in distress in the water and is ordinarily equipped with a yellow and red flag (international code of signals flag "O") and a flashing lamp or strobe light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal#Unusual_or_extraordinary_appearance

Last edited:

joeyss

Here found it

http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch19.pdf

Star Clusters
Red is the international distress color; therefore, use a red star cluster
whenever possible. Any color, however, will let your rescuers know
where you are. Star clusters reach a height of 200 to 215 meters, burn
an average of 6 to 10 seconds, and descend at a rate of 14 meters
per second.

"Red is the international distress color"

Must be confusing for rescuers to see every car, plane, ship, and tall structures outfitted with red lights.

n North America, marine search and rescue agencies in Canada and the United States also recognize certain other distress signals:
Sea marker dye
White high intensity strobe light flashing at 60 times per minute
A floating man-overboard pole or dan buoy can be used to indicate that a person is in distress in the water and is ordinarily equipped with a yellow and red flag (international code of signals flag "O") and a flashing lamp or strobe
My step father has one of those distress strobe lights. He sailed for many years (mom and he took honeymoon sailing) and worked for the coast guard for awhile (sailed with capt. of Edmund Fitzgerald). I'll snap a picture of it next time I'm there maybe a quick video......love the sound it makes as it fires