Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD Diode... now what?

Rasel

Well my friend finally got me a DVD drive to attampt at making a laser. I stripped the the housing off of the block (pic below) and have no idea where to go from there.

Also I've heard about people blowing diodes... what need I do to prevent that?

Any pics that show that I should be looking for in this thing would be awesome.

Small pic:
dscn1899ya3.jpg

big pic \/

Attachments

• DSCN1899.JPG
    DSCN1899.JPG
    774.1 KB · Views: 224

i believe antistatic protection is one of the big safeties you need to not fry the diode.

Gazoo

Rasel,
It might help if you posted the make and model number of the drive.

Rasel

Umm...

Well it's i/o Magic Internal DVD+-RW/+-R Dual Format Double Layer.

Specs:
Interface Type: E-IDE/ATAPI Interface
Data Transfer Rate (max speeds):

-Write:
40x CD-R
16x DVD+R
16x DVD-R
2.4x DVD-R DL

-Rewrite
24x CD-RW
4x DVD+RW
4x DVD-RW

-Read
40x CD
16x DVD

Gazoo

;D Yes you do. But it should be a closed can diode so cutting it out of the heatsink should not be that hard. As far as ESD, you do need to be careful, but I don't think I have killed one diode yet because of it. Even while I was harvesting my blu-ray diode, I forgot to put my wrist strap back on a couple of times, but I was also had everything on an anti static mat. Good luck.. :D

Rasel

OK well I have no idea how to prevent static build-up other than not dragging my socks on the carpet.

buy an antistatic wrist strap, connect it to something grounded, and/or buy an antistatic work surface.

i always wear a wrist strap but if you dont have one, the another way is to touch a non painted surface every once in a while like 10-20secs. :cool:

Gazoo

Yes that would be ok for a DVD diode. The humidity in your place makes a difference too....the higher it is the less chance for ESD. Just touch some bare metal before you touch the diode.

Antistatic wristband, JB Weld, and Arctic Silver.
JB Weld is a good alternative to solder, as there's no danger of frying the diode with heat. Arctic Silver is the best for heat transfer, and has limited adhesive qualities. The antistatic stuff is a no-brainer. If you're doing Kenom's Dorcy mod, I can go a little more in-depth. :D

Gazoo

Learn how to solder.. :D There is no good alternative to soldering IMO..