Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD Burner Laser Driver Help

Hi, I want to buy a good and cheap driver for dvd burner diode. Without driver i use 2x 1.5v AA batteries. How voltage i must use with (example) LM317T driver?
Links to buy driver please:p

Without driver your laser diode may suffer damage soon. Don't use it like this (directly drove).

With a LM317, you will need around the Vf of the diode (around 2.6V) plus some voltage for regulation (around 2.5V for the lm317). More than 5.5V should be fine, but you can always find the regulation point, lowering the voltage 'till the laser starts dimming.

If you want to operate with 2*AA, your best bet is a buck/boost driver. The only I can recall right know is the Flexdrive (available at Illumination Supply). Anyways, its kinda expensive for a dvd burner diode (1.5A max, you'll probably run it at 0.4A).

Maximum voltage is limited by your power dissipation. It depends on diode Vf and set current. If you set 0.4A, and the diode draws 2.5V, at 12v the lm317 would heat:

12v-2.5V * 0.4A = 3.8W. Thats not the maximum, but is plenty for a TO220 IC... Heatsink needed!
IIRC You can go as high as 30V with a 317. But I wouldn't. ;)

This

LM317%20components01.jpg

You can just remove the adjustable resistor, and use 1,25/Resistor value to determine Current out (to the laser diode).

You know resistor associations, right?

If you want 312mA (example), you will need 1,25/x = 312mA, and that will be 4ohms resistor...

Just beware that the resistors, when low value, tend to get hot.... ;)