Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dumb question here (lens) :

Kyle L

just a quick question, i got a g8 lens from DTR,

whats a proper way to clean these lenses?

Thanks!

The G8 is glass, so that's good. But, it depends on what you want to clean off of it. Dust should be blown away with canned air or brushed off with a small paint brush. If you have water soluble debris on it, glass cleaners like Windex can be used with a cotton swab. Or if not water soluble acetone can work with same cotton swab, but if it is burned onto the surface you may not be able to get it off with anything. After you get the results you are looking for make sure there aren't any solvents/debris dried onto the surface that can get burned onto the lens once you use it.

Kyle L

The G8 is glass, so that's good. But, it depends on what you want to clean off of it. Dust should be blown away with canned air or brushed off with a small paint brush. If you have water soluble debris on it, glass cleaners like Windex can be used with a cotton swab. Or if not water soluble acetone can work with same cotton swab, but if it is burned onto the surface you may not be able to get it off with anything. After you get the results you are looking for make sure there aren't any solvents/debris dried onto the surface that can get burned onto the lens once you use it.
Just what I was looking for, I will make 100% sure nothing dries onto the lens

Snecho

Depending on how accessible your lens is, you could try lens cleaner. Like the wipes they sell for glasses.

Just what I was looking for, I will make 100% sure nothing dries onto the lens
Canned air for dust. If it's not dust on the lens then other methods using solvents is required. Google "how to clean laser optics" or this.

Last edited:
Isopropyl alcohol at 99% purity can also be used. You may find it under isopropanol. Lower purity alcohols are not a good substitute, such as 70% rubbing alcohol.

Isopropyl alcohol at 99% purity can also be used. You may find it under isopropanol. Lower purity alcohols are not a good substitute, such as 70% rubbing alcohol.
The problem with using that is it dries comparatively slowly and may leave streaks. 70% definitely a no no.

Last edited: