Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dumb Civilian Laser question

I have been flashed by my 1.5W 445 and I have no spots or damage.

You got SUPER lucky. Some people on this forum have had damage from as little 20mW. I got lucky once too... but with a 50mW greenie.

Anyway, did the beam actually pass over your eyes, or was the dot just very close to you? Based on some rather sloppy experiments... if the dot is further than 6 inches from your eyes, you should blink fast enough to prevent injury.

Not suggesting it. Saying I did it. I know I read it. Can't find it ATM but I heard while our damage threshold is supposedly around 5mW, cat's are around 100 because of their reflectivity. (You know when you see them in the headlights)

And I don't think I was lucky. My eyes are no different than others. Maybe because I dont wear glasses? Not sure but I know it hit me because I was seeing stars for about 10 minutes.

A lot of people here are very... what's the word... afraid?

At the OP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-100-Green...ultDomain_0&hash=item19c1f68057#ht_2816wt_907 is what I use.. might be too bright for your comfort.

Last edited:
Some stress safety more than others, either way it's just something people need to be aware of, regardless of the advice-giver's own personal practices. It isn't really being afraid, although it might come across as that, if you don't know they are just trying to get the point across.

I think you should get him a nice yellow 589 or 473 one he'll be happy then.
I don't know my dog like blu-ray best, then green, then red but that might just be what mood he's in. I'd suggest something between 1-30mW. But just get something off eBay if its just for your pet.

This is kind of strange...

The first time I tried my 5mw greenie w/ cat, he ignored the laser but attacked my hand. He was simply more interested in my hand / and / the laser case, and me twirling it. I could have been holding a pencil, for all he cared.

Later on, it got dark so I took my Laserglow Lyra B-5 outside. This is my first green laser, so I am very impressed, even though it is only 4-5 mw (according to Laserglow... probably accurate). I could light up an apartment building across the highway I.E. could see a bright green spot... maybe... 1/4 mile or so away? A city blocks worth, anyway. I can see the beam fairly well at a low angle of incidence... at 90 degrees / perpendicular, I can JUST percieve the beam.

Same inside... indoors / darkness (television is the only light source in the room) I can see the 4-5mw beam pretty well with a low angle of incidence. at 90 degrees / perpendicular, I can JUST perceive it.

Cat still ignores the green dot (??) but started chasing / grabbing at the beam! Sort of like when a cat plays with a stream of water from a faucet. I played at all angles. I wish I had a vid camera... that poor cat just grabbed and grabbed, trying to "slap" the green beam down to the floor I guess. It follows that with better night vision, he can see the beam better than I can. Not sure why he would ignore the green dot (?)

From wikipedia, topic "Cat":

However, domestic cats have rather poor color vision and (like most non-primate mammals) have only two types of cones, optimized for sensitivity to blue and yellowish green; they have limited ability to distinguish between red and green,[77] although they can achieve this in some conditions.[78]

That note number 78 links to a big PDF full of technical charts and stuff. I didn't read into it much.

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colors from our sight
Red is grey and yellow white
And we decide which is right
And which is an illusion?

--- Moody Blues, Nights in White Satin

I had mine in 3 days... and since it was a filler add on, so I could get free shipping... mine was free;)

Excellent thanks. Is there a place you all normally buy batteries in bulk? Or basically everyone gets rechargeable batteries?

dealextreme has batteries for really cheap in bulk. but its overseas so the shipping will take around a month. if you get a good quality one buy rechargeable batteries.