Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dual Laser Display - No Diodes/Drivers

Hi All - after a brief hiatus due to an incredibly hectic business schedule as well as a particularly nasty separation, I'm back in the laser world and am cleaning house a bit ... Here I have a SHINP DL-33/100 laser system minus the drivers and lasers (they were pulled to upgrade a couple of lower-powered single laser displays that I absolutely, positively NEEDED running ASAP).

The DL-33/100 features full 6 channel DMX control as well as roughly 300 preprogrammed pattens and shows, tunnels, waves, fences, skies, bursts, etc - you can operate the system with any DMX controller or it can be run in "Auto" (cycles through all the preprogrammed stuff) or "Sound Active" (the same thing only to the beat of music, etc).

To use this system you would need nothing more than 2 lasers with TTL capability and a power supply (the DMX board operates on 12-15VAC) - you could use regular, non-TTL lasers too however the blanking effect wouldn't work (they would be on all the time when the unit was powered up).

These units sell in the dual 100mW configuration for $3-400 on Fleabay, etc - This would be a great way to build your own dual laser display on the cheap, I'm asking $75 shipped in the US. Again, you're getting the unit itself with all steppers, all optics (mounted and aligned by the factory) the DMX controller board (still hooked up from the factory), all the inputs/outputs/controls, etc - the only things removed were the driver boards/power supply and the laser modules (the original mounts and heatsinks are included) so this would be a no-brainer if you wish to put together your own Blu-Ray or ? system.

(the pic shows the unit with one module in place to give you an idea how they mount, the module and driver are NOT included, BTW).

PM for more info, pics to come tonight!

dl33_01.jpg

Last edited:

Hey BCM... glad to see you back...

Ahhh...What Pic.....:thinking:

Jerry

Hi Jerry - great to BE back, it's been a long couple of months .... I'm waiting for my camera to fully charge (I ran it dead at a show last night) and I'll get the pics up in a bit !!!

Umm, what are the optics aligned for? red and green to make yellow, or you mentioned blu-ray, so does it combine blu-ray and something? or, is it just mirrors, and doesn't combine anything (is that what dual display is? - has two different outputs for laser show)

Edit: nevermind, I see what you mean.. something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-Lens-Gre...ultDomain_0?hash=item5ad53ef779#ht_2098wt_939 Well, $75 is a good deal, but I've been spending a lot. I'd be interested, but if someone else would rather pounce on it, by all means they can have it.

Last edited:
Also Brew, out of curiousity, since you're good with Shinp and all, what exactly is the difference between this Double Lens Green& Red Laser Light DMX G40mW+R100mW - eBay (item 390124730233 end time Dec-28-09 20:30:12 PST) and this Green& Red 120mw Laser Light Show System DMX (CL-15RG) - eBay (item 390121720452 end time Dec-21-09 19:36:32 PST) One has two separate outputs and the other is coming out of one window thing (don't know the technical term), but... it doesn't look like the one output part is combining the red and the green, so what's the point of it? (it's more expensive and less powerful red)

I've used both of these, although not the DL-22's since WAY back when I first started w lasers ... The DL-22 has 2 single outputs (one on each side, red and green, respectively - kinda boring) while the CL-15 has both colors exiting the same aperature in the same patterns (parallel to each other, not aligned together but close). Unfortunately, the R and G don't "Mix" in the CL15 (occasionally you will get a bit of percieved yellow, but rarely) - if you step up to the CL-16,26, or 36, THEN you have the ability to control the individual colors and the "mix", as these units use an entirely different optical system which aligns the outputs of the 2 colors into a single beam, you also step up in price though.

I have several CL-16's that I removed the reds and refitted with 6X GGW diodes, they really make nice turquoise and green colors (and the patterns are actually pretty nice and relatively smooth for a stepper system with these) - be warned, though that aligning the beams yourself after replacing the diodes can be a BITCH, they have to be, well, "laser-perfect" to achieve the best combo colors. For the record, I have mine running at 190mW output pre-optics on the GGW's, and 60-65mW green (the Shinp greens are very adjustable using the existing driver pots) - that ratio takes a little away from the perfect turquoise, but gives the best intensity for the shows (see pic). Hope this helped!

Blue_CL16RGY.jpg

I would pick this up if I had the money, I've always wanted to make a laser display, and all this one is missing is the easy to get stuff. Maybe someday... :(