Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR laser - option to choose drive ma gone?

I am looking to purchase a module with a driver to build a diy lab laser with the sharp 490nm diode from DTR, I remember there used to be an option on the website to choose the current that you want to driver set to, but this option seems to be gone now. Help appreciated, Thanks!

Last edited:

You might just send DTR an email on what you desire. I guarantee he’ll be happy to oblige when he gets a moment.
SGD:beer:

What current would you like set it to run at? I have measured 30 of these diodes for wavelength and currents they can run at. Most set them to 275 mA using a Nano Boost/Buck driver, but those are becoming scarce. I have several Pico Boost drivers from astralist that can be set from ~70 mA to 1000 mA, but they come from Indonesia, so it can be a long wait. As long as you heat sink your module, these diodes run fine up to 300 mA. I'm sure DTR has some drivers and modules that would work. Good luck.

Last edited:

diachi

What current would you like set it to run at? I have measured 30 of these diodes for wavelength and currents they can run at. Most set them to 275 mA using a Nano Boost/Buck driver, but those are becoming scarce. I have several Pico Boost drivers from astralist that can be set from ~70 mA to 1000 mA, but they come from Indonesia, so it can be a long wait. As long as you heat sink your module, these diodes run fine up to 300 mA. I'm sure DTR has some drivers and modules that would work. Good luck.

They might be able to run fine up to 300mA, that doesn't mean their operating life isn't being drastically reduced...

Unfortunately, it remains to be seen if the life of these diodes are reduced at 275 mA. I have several now that I run all the time and they have been working fine for several months. My 477nm one has gotten constant use for 8 months. I have heard of some of these Sharp 473nm to 478nm diodes failing, but I don't know the circumstances as mine has been running at 275 mA much longer than some of my older builds have.

When I want a specific current I just Pm him:D

Pretty sure his standard setting for all the diodes is to ensure long life.