Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driving NUBM08 8x4.75W 445nm array

cowmoon71

In the process of acquiring parts for getting a NUBM08 445nm 8x4.74W array based laser. I plan to use a 7.4W 5400mAh LiPo I have as the power source. My obstacle now is driving the diodes. They are individually soldered onto a PCB with some isoteric connector on the PCB. I think I’ll just solder the wires from the drivers onto the pins of the diodes. Problem is I need to find a suitable driver (or drivers) for it. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with this or advise on a path from here.

Additionally, are my Eagle Pair 190-540nm OD5 goggle sufficient for this wattage, presuming I’m not acting stupid with it? I’ve never tried anything above 6W (445nm) wearing those.

Hi Cowmoon,
Your post came just at the right time. It is years since I started to try making a big laser from a whole Nichia block. Just check my neighboring thread (where you might find a name of this isoteric connector) and some of other threads... and I prefer to drive all LDs in series - in my opinion it is safer to have high voltage than high currents in the system.

And it is a very long work and many-many-many parts, believe me!

Eagle pairs are good if purchased from reputable sources (mine is from Survival laser) - just keep from buying cheap goggles from ebay or aliexpress. Mine are OD6 for 50usd.

cowmoon71

My goggles are from Survival Laser, yes. They are quite good and not fake. I am actually going the route of a weaker laser. Building a laser pen from a SHARP GH04850B2G 488nm 55mw diode. Going to drive it with an LM317 though I’ve never tried using one of those so some experimentation is due.

m3vuv

you wont drive them with a 317,a 317 has a max rated output of 1500ma,ive just built a driver using 2x 338 regulators,they are good for 5 amps,the first one is regulating 8 or so volts from 2x 18650 cells in series down to 6.3volts,that feeds a 2nd lm 338 wired as a contstan current source fixed at 1800ma to drive a 450nm nichia m-140 2 watt diode,easy to build on some perf board,the hard part was finding a .7ohm high wattage resistor for r2 in the current regulator,in the end i stripped some nichrome wire from an old electric kettle element and clamped it between 2 chock boxes just a bit of trial and error to get it right,hope tat helps Paul m-3vuv.

cowmoon71

I’ll be honest and that is that I’ve never constructed a driver circuit myself before. Do you have any recommendations of where I could find detailed instructions on how to do so that would suit my needs?

cowmoon71

Very comfortable soldering so I can for sure make it myself. Just confused with what exactly I need to do. I plan to do some research. The diode is 0.055W (55mW) and in the pictures from the seller on eBay it appeared to be hooked up to a lab power supply at 6v at 0.13 amps. My goal is to have this set up in a laser pointer housing, even though it’s a little too powerful to use without goggles. I’d like to have it run off AA or AAA batteries but I have some 16340 3.6V lithium batteries I could use too.