Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driving 22X reds

What would the power difference be in 350mA and 400mA? When driving the 22X reds.

Also. Can you achieve 350-400mA using 2 X AAA's? Is that what the Lavadrive2 is?

As far as I know all the 22x drives use long die open cans... If that's correct you should be able to drive them upwards of 420mA... that should give you around 275mW according to this chart.

Yes, the lavadrive is capable of running off 3v and it can produce currents up to 500mA.

rkcstr

You're going to have a tough time squeezing enough current out of alkaline AAAs to get 350-400mA out of the lavadrive2. NiMH batteries should have the capability, though, but their voltage may be a little low (2x 1.2V), at least across their entire capacity. I'd suggest a single lithium like the CR2 or CR123A.

But, you can always try it out, see what works and what doesn't... then you'll know for sure.

rkcstr

Cyparagon said:
The X-series takes 550mA from AAAs

Maybe it's possible? That's why I suggested trying... but I know that 9V batteries are tough to draw enough juice from for high power, and they're basically 6 AAA batteries (a little smaller) wired in series.

When the driver is in boost mode, the input current will be higher than the output current when the input voltage is lower than the output. For driving 3V with 3V of batteries, that different is rather small until the batteries start to die, so you may be able to get away with it.

Anyone actually tried?

artix

VillageIdiot said:
or you could just use 10440's if you really need more juice
why bother with the 10440 when you can get more mAh's out of a 14500. :p

GODSPD

Midknight said:
What would the power difference be in 350mA and 400mA? When driving the 22X reds.

Also. Can you achieve 350-400mA using 2 X AAA's? Is that what the Lavadrive2 is?

Call me a noob but what is the Lavadrive2? im asuming its a driver, but i havent heard of it before and is there any links where i can read about it?

Also which 22x diode are u using? which burner model is it out of? i am currently looking for some new 22x diodes and not sure which burner i need to take apprt to extract the diode...

GODSPD said:
Call me a noob but what is the Lavadrive2? im asuming its a driver, but i havent heard of it before and is there any links where i can read about it?

Also which 22x diode are u using? which burner model is it out of? i am currently looking for some new 22x diodes and not sure which burner i need to take apprt to extract the diode...

ndtwyh.jpg

iewed

GODSPD said:
[quote author=Midknight link=1214616862/0#0 date=1214616862]What would the power difference be in 350mA and 400mA? When driving the 22X reds.

Also which 22x diode are u using? which burner model is it out of? i am currently looking for some new 22x diodes and not sure which burner i need to take apprt to extract the diode...[/quote]

The lavadrive is a boost circuit drive made by Dr. Lava, people like it because they can achieve currents from 32mA-500mA with a 3V battery supply.