Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver questions

Hey everyone, so I'm getting back into my old rgb build, which is great because all the diodes are so cheap now!

So after being scammed years ago, i have been left afloat to diy my own driver, cheaply.

And here's the question.

Is it possible to utilize a simple picaxe with hardware pwm outputs, to drive signal to a pnp transistor, that will be powering drivers, which power individual diodes?

Or is it better to use a ttl enabled driver, and directly provide signal to that? I believe it was the flexmod with the signal pad?

Ill ask about diodes later, but ill need case isolated diodes, in all 3 'colors' RGB

Benm

What kind of control do you want? Analog brightness levels or just TTL on/off control?

If you are building a scanner you really want analog control: that will be moving at 30.000 pps or something similar and any PWM control has to be extremely fast to work within that. If it's just a steady beam you want to vary in color you can use PWM on the TTL input to set brightness levels.

I would like intensity control. Its for a simple handheld pointer. And since I'm combining colors, contolling each lasers frequency separately is whats important. Intensity is also important, i would like to be able to drop current output. the frequencies I'm looking for shouldn't be too fast, just your basic point and shoot color changing dot

Benm

A driver with TTL input will work fine for that application. I'm not sure how fast you can generate a pwm signal from the picaxe, but if its over a kHz or so it will work fine.

After lookinh around some more i think the best thing would be to go with the sxd drives. Remove the resistor and soft start cap.

I could do some custom trim pots and set a min and max current on each driver, for each diode. That way i can manually adjust output as needed.

Thanks benm

Benm

Sounds like a plan, though i'm not sure what speed that driver can handle modulation/pwm. Not all switchmode supplies are too happy with being turned on and off rapidly, so i'd still connect a test load and look at the output with a scope before connecting any (expensive) laser diode.

I'd like to tag a question on to this thread:

I'm looking for a already built ready to play laser diode driver capable of 1 microsecond pulses with a 50% duty cycle, so; 1us on and 1us off. This would be to drive an IR diode at 780nm, 120-175 milliamps from 2.1 to 2.7VDC. Anyone know where I can find one which is a small size, perhaps no more than 20 x 20mm?

Reactions: GSS