Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

driver help

I purchased a adjustable boost driver for a 445nm build but iv'e hit a problem, when i connected it up to a test load it blew a chip and smoked badly.
I just made the test load and it's soldered fine and exactly the same as all the ones iv'e seen it's got me stumped help appreciated.

We can only help you if you give us some details.

Power source description, which driver, what current setting, what test load arrangement, connection method, and perhaps a picture of your setup.

Hi yes sorry for the test load i used 6 IN5404 diodes and a 1ohm 5 watt resistor i linked the diodes up all in the same direction with the resistor on one end.
The driver is from odicforce it says 1.6 amp boost driver cost £9.50 part number ofl230.
I soldered diode wires to the driver i then soldered them to the test load and i used a 18650 battery for power if you check the driver out it blew the chip next to the pot.

Last edited:
Best guess is you installed the 18650 (or perhaps the test load) backwards. Buy a new driver and observe polarity.

It was me soldered the battery wires the wrong way round i cant believe i made this mistake serves me right for rushing late at night.