Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragon Lasers Safety Glasses LSG02

This posting is for many of the newcomers who really should purchase and be using safety glasses. One does not need to spend a lot of money to protect your eyes from an accidental hit from lasers. The LSG02 is a simple low cost solution ideal for UV, Blue, Green lasers that only costs $19.99 (USA) plus $10 shipping.

Laser Safety Glasses, Goggles, Eyewear :: Dragon Lasers

DSC_6638.jpg

DSC_6639.jpg

As you can see in the photo, the lenses are a reddish orange which does a good job of reducing the green, blue, violet, & UV light. There are black bumps around the frame that do allow some air to flow to avoid fogging up the lenses. In testing this with a flashlight, it is possible to shine the light at just the right angle to go through the air slots, but it's at a weird angel and not likely to happen with a laser.

The fit is comfortable and easy to wear. As you can see in the photo, you have a choice between a strap of standard frames. I have not tried to swap out the strap for the frames, but it doesn't look that hard to do. As soon as I put on the strap, I felt that this is the way I want to use these safety glasses.

LSG02_OD.jpg

Image from Dragon Lasers​

I have no way to test the attenuation of the filtering in the glass, but my crude tests with my 5mW and 30mW Green lasers do show that the brightness of the spot is reduced considerably. As far as I can tell, the chart, shown above, seems believable to me.

DSC_6640.jpg

The world appears somewhat reddish orange through the glasses. It's also important to remember, that the glasses offer no real protection from yellow, red, and IR lasers. They are designed for green wavelengths and shorter. Dragon Lasers does offer other models that offer protection from other wavelengths, but this is the only model I got from them.

I have to say that Dragon Lasers Customer Support is outstanding. When trying to order the glasses in the first place I didn't do everything correctly and the order didn't go through correctly. Kevin emailed me to let me know about the goof-up and after a few tries, I got it correct. I emailed Kevin back that the status now shows several orders pending and Kevin wrote back that the extra pending orders will be deleted and only the single order will e processed.

The second thing to go wrong is that I had to leave for out of town earlier than expected. Guess what showed up when I was out of town? Because the shipment requires a signature the postman couldn't just drop it off at the door. In this case, Adam helped with sort through this mess. Thankfully I was able to return home in time to get the package before it was shipped back to Dragon Lasers.

I really didn't intend to screw things up either time, but in both cases, Dragon Lasers helped me out of my own mess.

Bob Diaz

these are what I use, though I swapped the strap for the frames. my first pair were some crap ones that were barely better than nothing, which came with my rifle from lazerer. upon donning these, it was obvious they are far superior. I have not had oppertunity to compare them to Survival laser's, but I suspect they are comparable. I still advise caution when using them with particularly powerful 445nm lasers, 3W and up. I have still gotten after image through them from viewing the focal point while burning with such high powers

I also own the D.L. safety glasses for red, (the green lens ones, LSG08) and I feel I must warn that they work too well. the dots of common powers (I'm including 1W 638nms in this statement, though poor divergence factors in) of red lasers are only visible through them at point blank ranges, and even then just barely. you could take a direct, sustained hit from a 300mW 660nm and hardly notice. looking at the O.D. chart on their site, it seems 660nm and 638nm might just fall into the O.D. 10 rated area, so no wonder. cool thing about them is they also reduce 445nm and 405nm light, so are useable with basically all visible lasers but green ones. (maybe not yellow either, IDK) since 532nm are not particulary well known for their burning, the most imperative time to be wearing safety glasses, this is convenient. I suppose those new 1W 520nm are also an exception. these glasses do cost more than the ones in O.P.

Last edited:
RE: "I still advise caution when using them with particularly powerful 445nm lasers, 3W and up."

You hit upon a point I considered, but have no way to test. These safety glasses (or your eyes) may not survive a direct hit from a very powerful laser.

For now, I slowing working my way up the power curve starting with low power stuff, like 5mW and 30mW. I'm considering an 80mW laser for my next purchase. It's only $36.90 !!!

LA 405nm 445nm 50-80

While an 80mW Dot Laser Alignment System may seem odd to some, there is some logic in this. At the College where I work, my specialty is digital control systems like the PIC and the Arduino. This laser would be easy to interface into a simple PIC timer system that allows me to turn on the laser, but only for the maximum time and allow a cool down time before I can power it up again. I might even add a BCD LED display to show the time.

I asked laserbtb what the duty cycle is and so I have that information.

Bob Diaz

No, I would not want to test out whether you could survive a direct hit from 4W of 445nm with no ill effects. I know for a fact this power will burn through the glasses quickly, as much lower power levels can too. for a brief direct hit, there's no question I'd want to have them on. don't try this.

About the only way to safely test how long a pair of safety glasses can take a hit is to fire the laser at a second pair sitting on the bench. I remember seeing a video showing that. Even the best safety glasses out there won't stand up to a direct hit from a 4W laser for long time.

For now, I'm a ways from anything that powerful. As I stated in an earlier message, I'm slowly moving up the power curve. My next step is just 80mW, which knowing laserbtb, it's likely to be in the 80mW to 90mW range.

Bob Diaz