Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DPSS vs Solide State Lasers !

amayas

Dear all,

I have a question about the caractersitics of lasers vs the nature of the laser.

I have the choice between two green lasers 532nm, one is DPSS the other is Solide state.
Please, can you help me to decide whch one si the best.
especially about the laser stability, lifespan, laser modes, parasit radiations (IR) ...

let's take these 2 exemples (both are TEC cooled, powerd, TTL, Fan, ...) :

532nm 200mW DPSS Laser Module With TTL FAN Cooling Power Supply 110 220V | eBay

300mW 532nm Green Laser Dot Module TTL Analog 0 30KHZ Tec Cooling 85 265V | eBay

Thanks a lot

Amayas

diachi

DPSS and Solid State are the same thing.

DPSS = Diode Pumped Solid State.

Second one should definitely be the better laser in terms of stability and overall quality - although it looks like one produced by Lasever - they used to be known for reliability issues but things may have improved in recent years (Last I heard of lots of issues was a good 5-6 years ago...). They were always decent at repairing/replacing broken units though. It was more of a problem with the 473nm units, not so much with the 532nm units. Second one should be IR filtered but you'd need to ask the seller to be sure.

First one is cheap as hell - you get what you pay for. Wouldn't be surprised if it isn't IR filtered and relatively bad quality otherwise too. Really a different class of laser ... Entirely different price range and level of quality.

What do you plan on using them for?

Edit: Checked the lasever site - the second one you linked (300mW) is IR filtered: http://www.lasever.com/plus/view.php?aid=12

Last edited:

amayas

Thanks a thousand Diachi !

I can see clear ...
I want to use one of these lasers (mays be the more expensive one) for a Raman Spectroscopy set up (i'll use a power of 100mW maximum).

What are you recommendations?

Thanks again

amayas

Encap

Have a read of article "How to choose a laser for raman spectroscope" below---according to it neither is good enough quality ---- you need better stability unless you want sloppy results.

How to choose a laser for Raman Spectroscopy - My Laser Spectrum

"■the stability in power is an important criterion in the choice of the exciting laser, especially for repeatable and long duration measurements: good Raman lasers have a power stability better than ± 1 % peak-to-peak in a 8 hour period
■the laser linewidth and the stability in wavelength (“laser drift”) of the Raman laser are also important for the quality of the spectrum, especially for high spectral resolution reconstruction: good Raman lasers have less than 0.5 % rms of optical noise
"

Last edited:

diachi

Have at article "How to choose a laser for raman spectroscope" below---according to ti neither is good enough quality ---- you need better stability unless you want sloppy results.

How to choose a laser for Raman Spectroscopy - My Laser Spectrum

"■the stability in power is an important criterion in the choice of the exciting laser, especially for repeatable and long duration measurements: good Raman lasers have a power stability better than ± 1 % peak-to-peak in a 8 hour period
■the laser linewidth and the stability in wavelength (“laser drift”) of the Raman laser are also important for the quality of the spectrum, especially for high spectral resolution reconstruction: good Raman lasers have less than 0.5 % rms of optical noise
"

Yeah, cheap Chinese lasers aren't going to cut it if you want to meet those sepcs (Edit: not that you can't get Chinese lasers that meet those specs, they just aren't cheap). The Coherent Compass 315M I suggested before just about meets those specs - lower noise than specified with <+/-2% power stability over 8 hours.

You probably don't want to know what one of those costs new...

Last edited:

amayas

Dear all !

thank you very much for the answers, really this forum is just terrific !

Yes, the coherent laser seems the most addapt to my need ...
i'll take some more time to think

therms of 1% is a long shot for the chinees lasers i think

thank you again

amayas

Reactions: GSS