Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DPSS help......

S

SenKat

I just bought (from someone reliable !) a high power 808nm diode module - the whole thing is there, including primary focusing optics (I think I said that right...) anywho, apply power, and SMOKE anything, right ? Okay - I want to turn this into a 532nm MEAN Greenie....once I receive this in the mail (3-4days, tops) I wanna start with taking a pic of it, and attaching here - and get some advice for a good project to pump out MAJOR Green power....the output is 50 Watts at present (given a suitable power source) so with the proper power what can I hypothesize that the output for 532 would be ? Help !!! and Thanks in advance :)

NairB

SenKat said:
I just bought (from someone reliable !) a high power 808nm diode module - the whole thing is there, including primary focusing optics (I think I said that right...) anywho, apply power, and SMOKE anything, right ? Okay - I want to turn this into a 532nm MEAN Greenie....once I receive this in the mail (3-4days, tops) I wanna start with taking a pic of it, and attaching here - and get some advice for a good project to pump out MAJOR Green power....the output is 50 Watts at present (given a suitable power source) so with the proper power what can I hypothesize that the output for 532 would be ? Help !!! and Thanks in advance :)

MY GOODNESS SenKat - are you sure the diode is outputting 50W....WoW.!!!!

Yo will need the correct crystals...ND:YV04 crystals turns wavelength to 1064nm and then a KTP crystal to frequency double the wavelength to the visible green light we can see 532nm and then IR filters.
This is a hugely complex process getting everything correct in order to lase properly and if we are talking 50W diodes....GOSH.....super safe eye protection is needed in my opinion.
Maybe someone can advise you further on how to go about construction of such a beast ::)

S

SenKat

Goggles ?  YES !!!  I do have them standing by  :)  As soon as I get this beastie - I am gonna snap pics of it first, and post em up here - I am the sort to TRY to get advice  prior to boogerring it up  ;D  That is what the "rated" output is - so we'll see what it actually does.....
Oh yeah, about the crystals - I emailed a sales contack at Casix - the ones they advertise on there will handle max 500mw input power - as far as they say - so I asked if they had better ones for 50W input - no answer yet, we'll see how that one turns out....

NairB

SenKat said:
Goggles ? YES !!! I do have them standing by :) As soon as I get this beastie - I am gonna snap pics of it first, and post em up here - I am the sort to TRY to get advice prior to boogerring it up ;D That is what the "rated" output is - so we'll see what it actually does.....
Oh yeah, about the crystals - I emailed a sales contack at Casix - the ones they advertise on there will handle max 500mw input power - as far as they say - so I asked if they had better ones for 50W input - no answer yet, we'll see how that one turns out....

Well the new nLight diodes are rated at 2W for portable lasers....but your looking at a 50W labby so imsure there will be a diode in that power range but the question is at what wavelength...

Casix is a major provider of laser bits so im sure they will tell you ;)

Look foward to what they say..... :D

K

kingzilla

Does anyone know were you can buy laser moduels like that 50W? I have never heard of such a thing! :eek:

S

SenKat

From Huerrsciences on fleabay - he's very reputable....I can post a link to the item if it's allowed ?

S

SenKat

NairB said:
Casix is a major provider of laser bits so im sure they will tell you  ;)

Look foward to what they say..... :D

Well :( Here is what I got back from Casix :

Since your pump power is 50w, the cemented DPM can't be used.

We consider you should design as separate laser cavity.

NairB

Interesting and it does make sense. The suggested power input to the DPM(Diode Pumped Microchip) which is the Nd:YV04 & KTP crystals is upto 500mW and not 50W as it would melt them LoL.

Click Here for more info

I wonder how this can be done though.....I bet it would be damn expensive regardless.

I hope someone can answer this.......to be continued lol

Well, NairB told me to check out this post, so here is what I have to say.

Senkat, do you have any idea what you're getting into? 50W to green sounds pretty awesome if it worked, but I have a feeling there's a lot you're forgetting.

First off, you do not have a 50W 808nm diode. No such thing yet to my knowledge. What you have is a 50W diode ARRAY. Its many diodes side by side basically. To power it you need a lot of power from a PSU that is accurately current limited. That's the first of many many challenges. Next you need it liquid cooled and fully heat sinked or your diode will be trashed. That's just getting the pump working.

Then you need, not Casix crystals, not regular YAG or KTP crystals. With this much power, there's no way you can just shine it into a crystal and get green, especially since its a diode array and you're not getting 1, but many beams. What you need is a YAG crystal that can be side pumped, and a good one. We're talking thousands new, maybe in the hundreds used. That will probably need to be reflective on one end, partially reflective on the other. Then you need KTP or something of the sort, reflective to 532nm and antireflective to 1064nm on one end, partially reflective on the other. For those powers, you're once again talking a lot of $$$. Then each crystal needs temperature regulation to keep it not too hot or too cold.

The diode array also needs optics for the pumping, and the whole system needs to be perfectly aligned.

All in all, a project only for extremely advanced engineers in the field that I wouldn't really have any idea how to start, and one I highly doubt you'd get 10% through before breaking something, or needing to give up.

IMO: First, you should start from the basics. Casix hybrid ND:YVO4 and KTP from a leadlight or something and a small 808nm diode. That in itself can be challenging for a beginner, but it looks like learning to flip a light switch compared to the above project. You'd definitely need to tackle this first before considering that 50W - green, or just as bare 808nm.

Also, heurrsciences is not a reputable seller from what I've heard. I've heard of some people getting good deals from him, but also read some very very interesting stuff. One such "interesting stuff" regarded him throwing acid at the police attempting to arrest him, and another involved some scams on crap gas lasers.

Anyways, you definitely have a noble project in mind, and one I'd definitely envy in its finished form. However it's also far too ambitious IMO. Start from the basics and work your way up. Maybe someday you will complete this monster laser and I will bow down and kiss your foot, but for now, learn a bit more about the processes involved, and start small. Maybe buy some books on the subject? Good luck!

S

SenKat

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely heed it ! I had no idea that that dealer was like that ! WOW :eek: That is seriously mind boggling. As far as research goes, I am probably WAY in over my head - which I will freely admit, but the thing is, I really love to try :) I may end up blowing the whole thing up - in which case I will be sorry - and NEVER would I EVER want anyone to kiss my feet !! I have learned what I have learned from simple trial and error - and lots of reading - I may just have to keep it as an IR array then for hte time being until my skills get to the point that I will try to muck with it. I do have several other MUCH smaller projects in the works at the same time - which I will post the results of, both success and failures - hopefully I will learn from it, and maybe someone else might be able to save some cash from seeing what I have done ;) I really do appreciate the advice - not only the content, but the delivery - you were not patronizing at all, that is what I love about this type of forum - lots of good advice, and the source of information is almost infinite ! Warning well received - I will put off my "mega laser" project until such time as I can TRY to do it without blowing stuff up, especially ME !

NairB

:)

Thankyou very much pseudo for that excellent explanation and information regarding that seller.....I owe you for that bud ;)

That certainly answered that for me too Senkat ehh. Damn, I was hoping it might have been easier to build damndamndamn......ahh well maybe one day ;)

S

SenKat

NairB said:
:)

Thankyou very much pseudo for that excellent explanation and information regarding that seller.....I owe you for that bud  ;)

That certainly answered that for me too Senkat ehh. Damn, I was hoping it might have been easier to build damndamndamn......ahh well maybe one day  ;)

While thanks are being handed out - thanks for bringing Psuedo's attention to my possible folly ! And, if it was easy - it wouldn't be NEARLY as fun, would it ? ;D