Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dorcy Jr. Build vs. Jayrob's Pocket Mini Build Kit

k1kb0t

I have a Jayrob 4171 Blu-ray and it came with the 'Hot' option and the lens mod. I had to solder two things, the leads on the diode and the diode leads to flexdrive leads. The build qaulity is excellent and Jayrob is a class act, he may be more expensive but I found that he is worth the extra price.

jayrob

Hey I'm getting lots of 'pats on the back' in this thread... Thanks guys! :)

Here are a couple of videos to show how powerful a PHR build can be...

Awesome video by Chuck Adams lighting 'flash paper' with a PHR build using my 405-G-1 glass lens modification:

Here's some match lights with a Kryton build from a while back that I built with a PHR at only 80mW's. (AixiZ acrylic - back opened):

Jay

Last edited:
pocket mini ALL DAY LONG BABY! forget the dorcy. i call em dorkys lol. cuz their big and bulky.

the pocket mini is a custom peice of ART. buy it

Which batteries should I go with, the 3.0 volt Lithium primaries or the rechargable UltraFires. The only reason I ask is if either one is superior in any way for some bizarre reason. Neither of them will make a difference in output right? I know thats probably a stupid question.

jayrob

No difference in output power because the FlexDrive regulates the current.

The difference will be in capacity. Also, rechargeable batteries will loose charge just sitting. Primaries will not.

In my first post in this thread, I mentioned some of these points when you asked about the batteries earlier...
Jay

But really it doesn't matter that much if they loose their charge because I can just re-charge them right?

jayrob

Yes, that is correct...

The only thing is, some of the RCR123's fit kind of 'snug' in this host. Others slide in fine. It's the protection circuit.

You can make it fit better if you put the battery about 1/3 of the way in the barrel and bend it around/back and forth... Then turn it around and do the same on the other end of the battery.

Or if you have a few to choose from, you will find one that fits nicely.

I guess I favor the primaries, because I have so many lasers that many will end up sitting for a long time. But I know that the batteries are not loosing charge.

I like flashlights with the primaries too for that same reason.
Jay

Though I've never owned or used a Dorcy laser, I can vouch for the Pocket Mini. Its small size and stout feel allows you to take it anywhere a laser can go.

I have one with the uncommon SF-AD112 running at 65mA. It's a great, laid-back laser at 43mW.

I've used several different RCR123A's in my Pocket Mini with no problem. Maybe I'm just lucky. Using primaries would be too expensive for me, though. Plus, LIIon has a much slower self discharge rate than NiMH.

I want to use just a little dab of adhesive between the pill and the heatsink so i dont twist the wires when I screw the head of the host on. What is the best adhesive to use? Thermal?

When I did it with an old build, I glued it completely shut with random superglue. I guess a thermal glue would be better though

Hey so I dont really want to buy a whole roll of wire for this single build, so i know Jayrob said the wires in a "mouse cord" are perfect but would any similar wires work? For example a phone charger? Are any of the wires usable or should i not use one of them in the cord?

I also have a single temperature soldering iron from radio shack, it says 30 WATT/120V/60HZ. Will this be okay with the diode if contact it for 1 sec or less?

Last edited:

F2a

Yes that's fine. You can use whatever random wire you find really. I pulled some out of a HD-DVD player for mine.

So when i was looking for batteries in stores around me I came across Energizer 123 batteries:
http://www.batteries.com/images/400x400/19564.jpg

On the box they said they replace Cr123A's so I went for it considering two of them were only around $10. However while playing with my laser (PHR @ 125 mA) I unsatisfyed with the burning power. I could not light a fuse and other stuff like that ( Yes, I am focusing it) and began thinking that maybe the battery is the problem. Does anyone know if it is, or did I just overestimate the power? I'm starting to think maybe I'm a green laser kind of guy...