Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does dropping a laser effects its output/power?

090calibursteph

Hey there! So I have a 500mw sanwu laser and I'm concerned about about it since I dropped it like 2-3 times.. it works but I'm just worried I might have lowered the power of the beam due to the fall. Are laser pointers one of those things where if you drop it it either breaks or works and nothing in between? Or do they lose power after falls?

Sowee7

Hey there! So I have a 500mw sanwu laser and I'm concerned about about it since I dropped it like 2-3 times.. it works but I'm just worried I might have lowered the power of the beam due to the fall. Are laser pointers one of those things where if you drop it it either breaks or works and nothing in between? Or do they lose power after falls?
It depends, diode pointers are generaly more resistant then DPSS pointers

Why do you keep mishandling your device? Why do you ask about diminished output, did it engrave before and stop after dropping it 2-3 times?

090calibursteph

Why do you keep mishandling your device? Why do you ask about diminished output, did it engrave before and stop after dropping it 2-3 times?
In fact I take good care of my pointers, a buddy of mine is responsible for the falls lol, and I don't engrave with this laser

ixfd64

If a DPSS laser is dropped and hits a hard surface, then its optics may become misaligned.

Sowee7

I doubt you "diminished" the output. In general you either broke it or you didn't.
sometimes that can happen, only with dpss lasers and 445/450nm lasers arnt usually dpss

Get a wrist strap or a lanyard or a good case or else just don't let your butterfingers friend touch it.

Butter fingers? hmmmmmmmmm......I bet he was making smores. If I where you , I would tell your friend to get his own.

Last edited:

Cressa

I actually have either that exact same laser, output should decrease either about 0 or 100% after a drop. Output decreases for a bit before the battery dies though, and it draws a lot of power from those little things very fast.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
If it was the Sanwu 500mW 445 then it's a direct diode laser, so it'll most likely be all or nothing if you drop it. Either totally dead or fine. So if it's working now, it's probably okay. (I'm not sure my buddy would be fine though if they repeatedly dropped one of my lasers like that though! j/k 😝)

If it was a DPSS laser (some 532, 473, and 589nm lasers are the most common examples) then you could misalign the crystal assembly by dropping it. This could possibly cause something in the middle where it still works but diminished.

This does not apply to your direct diode laser, but just of note, DPSS lasers can use very powerful infrared pump diodes. If you drop a DPSS laser and it stops emitting it's normal wavelength and instead emits a dim reddish glow, STOP USING IT IMMEDIALTY. This can be very dangerous and can indicate a leak from the high power pump diode. Even though it looks dim it can be many watts of near infrared light and can cause severe eye damage.