Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does Anyone Have Any First Hand Accounts Of Eye Or Other Injuries From Lasing?

BrilliantLasers

I was wondering if anyone has experienced eye injuries, or know someone that sustained serious eye injuries from lasing. I haven't seen other threads on actual accounts.

I want to know stories, on simple/unlucky mistakes that led to eye or burn injury. Might be very insightful to some. It's surprisingly hard to find much info/stories on the topic. I don't think there has been enough main stream research into the issue.

Edit: Only minutes later I actually saw a thread someone posted of their eye injury!

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm temporarily locking the thread. The mod team is in the process of discussion

UPDATE: We've decided to keep this thread but No gruesome pictures and no stories of anything irresponsible/illegal. Hearing about accidents "that could happen to anyone", ie, not the result of negligence, could actually help make people be more careful.
Any gory imagery, intentional misuse of a laser or anything that promotes such uses will be deleted with a warning. 3 warnings is a timeout

Last edited:

BrilliantLasers

Thanks @Unown (WILD) the intent of the thread was to inform. We have all seen the safety threads and general rules of lasing, but sometimes it goes beyond that. Knowing how accidents happened in the past can help inform and educate further in lasing safety. One example I can think of is electrical errors/bugs. Where someone could be looking at a diode with the power shut off and some sort of short happens causing the diode to emit.

That's why you always remove the batteries before looking down the business end, it should be common sense but complacency breeds contempt, everyone needs to remember a laser is not a flashlight.

Just like the 1st time you put batteries into a tail cap switched laser, as you screw on the tail cap you keep the laser pointed in a safe direction, the switch could be open or closed.