Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone have a wicked lasers sonar?

Hello everyone does anyone know were to get a wicked lasers sonar blue ray laser? Possibly a person that's willing to part with one here on lpf? A response would be much appreciated I'm cool with silver or white 🍸8201-IMG5174s-1.jpgunnamed (1).jpg
here is a piece of history for the nerds like myself thanks for reading 👽❤ ⬇⬇⬇

November 25, 2006
Making of the sonar Blu Ray laser
_wicked_laser_sonar_1 (1).jpgBy now I am sure all of you have heard about Blu Ray players. The heart of this innovative device is a special high power laser. Wicked Lasers is striving to bring cutting edge products to their customers. Steve over at Wicked Lasers was kind enough to show us how their new sonar laser is developed. The crazy thing is that these lasers are so rare they must be harvested out of actual Blu Ray players. If you can afford one of these finely crafted lasers, I am jealous.
Thanks Steve.

“The photos show our lead laser engineer, Dr. John Garner Ph. D. and his assistant.
The steps to create a Blu Ray pointer from a Blu Ray Disc Player is as follows:
First, the DVD player covering is removed
Then Blu Ray Diode is extracted carefully from the drive.
We have developed a PCB board to pair with the Blu Ray diode and optics are added to focus the laser beam.
After testing the power output, the laser module (Diode + PCB + lenses + brass housing) is inserted into another brass casing for heat dissipation and to fit the casing.
A single Cr-123A Lithium Ion battery is used to power the unit. The dot as shown is purple and registers to be 23mW.”
_wicked_laser_sonar_3.jpgHere are some specs. for the finished laser.“Sonar™ is the world’s only Blu-ray™ powered laser designed to satisfy the desires of true laser enthusiasts.
* 405nm Blu-ray™ laser diode
* Spacecraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum casing
* Super-regulated beam stability
* High-drain Li-ion power supply
* Limited edition!”

_wicked_laser_sonar_6.jpg

_wicked_laser_sonar_5.jpg

_wicked_laser_sonar_4.jpg

_wicked_laser_sonar_2.jpg
_sonar_header.jpg

Attachments

• _wicked_laser_sonar_5.jpg
    _wicked_laser_sonar_5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

These were like $2k when they came out, which is stupid expensive for 20mW of violet, even for the time. you can get a 20mW violet pointer on ebay for $2 these days, I hope you know.

O ya of course I know thanks for the reply I have a bunch I just like the host and the blu ray imprint on the end I mainly want it for collection purposes it's crazy to think It used to cost 2k$ for such a low power for what we have today huh 🤯

jnrpop

O ya of course I know thanks for the reply I have a bunch I just like the host and the blu ray imprint on the end I mainly want it for collection purposes it's crazy to think It used to cost 2k$ for such a low power for what we have today huh 🤯

I had the idea, perhaps @Lifetime17 could machine a clone of one, in white, that could use a 12/20mm DTR module. And ideas on the cost to machine and paint one of these @Lifetime17 ?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I remember when those first came out and the everyone on the forum was going crazy over the new wavelength, but only one or two people could actually afford to buy one. One of them ended up buying 3 or 4 of them too.

For a while a couple years later I believe Wicked Lasers also did just sell the empty host separately. So there might also be some of those floating around too .