Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you think this laser is trustworthy?

Yea I may have to change that. I don't have a LPM so I can't quite tell. I know I can't feel the laser on my skin unless I point it in my ear. (1 of most heat sensitive spots on the body).

Edit: changed it to 30-50mW. Close enough?

I've just got a cheap 405nm off ebay and I too can see the beam!
I have no LPM, so have used the DIY thermometer LPM idea together with a two lasers of known power to arrive at a rough guess that mine is 25mW. [lower than I expected as this is the same as 0.4mW of 534nm which I didn't think I would be able to see...]

Sta

How long did you have the laser on when you were burning the steel wool? I can't believe that the heat from the diode caused the lens assembly to fall apart or melt in some way, as this would probably destroy the diode before it would harm the lens. But, I said I am not familiar with this model, so I don't know how cheaply the lens assembly was made. If the inner lens was held together with hot glue, it is possible that this could occur. I still think that it is totally a lens problem, and therefore is theoretically repairable.

About ten seconds, I looked back and then realized that the focus was incorrect and I had to refocus it. A few hours later I noticed that it was partially corrected.

Sta

I've just got a cheap 405nm off ebay and I too can see the beam!
I have no LPM, so have used the DIY thermometer LPM idea together with a two lasers of known power to arrive at a rough guess that mine is 25mW. [lower than I expected as this is the same as 0.4mW of 534nm which I didn't think I would be able to see...]

That tool that you used to measure the relative brightness is notorious for being rather pessimistic with non-green lasers.

might have an acrylic lens and the longer duty cycles you do the more it slightly melts?

It seem unlikely that a 2 watt laser would be made with acrylic lenses. That is far too much power to use that type lens with this laser. If it were made with acrylic lenses, they wouldn't last long at all. That would be an unusually inferior laser indeed.

Sta, I was looking at the photos of this laser and what do you see when you remove the end cap where the lens should be? It also looks like the laser may unscrew at the point where the sticker it close to the lens end. If you peel up the sticker, can you separate the part where the laser diode and the lens are? Maybe you can then take the lens assembly out. It is your best chance of finding out what happened to the lens.