Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you own a laser that has lasted working fine?

Hi there, been reading and finding many testimonials having mixed experiences on commercial laser engraving products (laser modules I mean), after a bit of research it seems like a quality problem, some are happy, some are not: because some lasers just died without any reason (no heatsink problem, no driver problem, etc). I'm looking for a new replacement, for my custom made CNC engraver.

So this is that time when more than technical help, a brand or quality testimonial is needed. Yes my commercial violet laser died despite all the correct and appropriate cautions after a few sessions of 30 seconds each one. There it is, I will appreciate testimonials on what has lasted for you.
Tech research on amazon testimonials is taking too long despite most of them not being quite specific.

Thanks in advance.
. . . .
Need background? here it is, been working with lasers and engraving, built my own laser CNC engraving, and several of my laser burners with their own power driver, etc, so at this point perhaps I'm not a newbie. But I'm about to buy one, preferably violet laser 500mw+ for burning. Yes I know about specs, I just would like and welcome any feedback on reliability and quality/price. Yes I HAD a violet laser engraving amazingly well but the thing died, the manufacturer grant me a full refund.

I want to avoid spending money and waiting for products to arrive so then I run on chances to see how it works (I don't live on the USA so product delivery takes time). Sure, looking for reliability, no thanks, products of
US$ 2,000+ are not on my interest.

Last edited:

Teej

I would just like to point out that nothing fails for no reason.

There is always a reason.

Even if a laser lasts 100 years of working fine, and THEN fails, there was still a reason for it. (we'll know more after one works that long...)

:D

And - If you make it yourself, and sweat the details, and then, when it fails, do the forensics on it to see why, correct that, and so forth, until its reliable...you will win.

If this is too hard, a reasonable conclusion quite often, ask for a warranty and acceptable terms from someone who does make them.

I would just like to point out that nothing fails for no reason.

There is always a reason.

Even if a laser lasts 100 years of working fine, and THEN fails, there was still a reason for it. (we'll know more after one works that long...)

And - If you make it yourself, and sweat the details, and then, when it fails, do the forensics on it to see why, correct that, and so forth, until its reliable...you will win.

If this is too hard, a reasonable conclusion quite often, ask for a warranty and acceptable terms from someone who does make them.

Thank you and I agree, but at this point I'm not interested on doing forensics, I'm just about to buy a car (but it's a laser), I can't put together all by myself data about brands and models unless I buy and test each one. The thing on buying a product is using it, not investing time on beta testing, don't mean to sound rude, I'm just trying to bring back the original question and the intention of the thread.

I totally agree on sweating it (if making it by myself) but such approach is not always the convenient, for the same reasons above, specially due to prices, variety of models, brands and the long time for delivery when I need it working in a shorter term. Still, I'm taking plan A and B, never putting everything on just one basket, that's why I have working lasers at this point :) thanks again.

Stuff wears out.

Work it harder it wears out faster.

Replace the worn part and it lives on.

Overbuilt and under driven last longest.

Some/most....all? things degrade with time.

My longest surviving lasers are some of my first 660nm 80mw reds.

Last edited:
I knew it, but wanted to try, as other many threads the main questions are always left unanswered, a heavy load of avoidance around. Yes the forum is free, I'm not demanding an answer, but as most threads, if it's not about talking the already built lasers, it's to say "is dangerous you can go blind" period. Not fun...

are you looking for laser diodes? if so DTR laser shop is a good start.

Thanks, I'm on it!

Any comments on commercial stuff already built will be welcome. DIY is my preferred way, I'm more sure on the results as I know how everything is wired and why, but I'm looking on a more already built ready for use solution to save time that I can't keep investing.