Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do violet lasers burn?

UwU_SIMP

So I bought this "100mW" violet laser from sanwulasers, it just those basic lasers you see on eBay with the "mass manufactured crap" as one user said a while back that I read on here. But it's still labeled as supposedly being 100mW right? So Assuming it's 60-100mW in power. wouldn't that at least be able to do any burning?

Mine doesn't, I thought it was just like 20mW, not 100mW, because I can't even melt plastic bags without focusing it.

A youtuber said that his 300mW violet hardly burns anything but his 200mW green has no problem in destroying stuff. So what's the deal with 405nm lasers then?

And yes I do see a beam with my violet laser, but it's only visible in total darkness like a pitch black room or like a rural environment. Also the beam dot looks really wide in comparison to a green laser.

I had a 400mW green laser a while back but it just stopped working after 6 months, and it was from dragonlasers.
I never actually had a violet laser in my life.

Snecho

Violet lasers are actually the best burners because of the shorter wavelength it can be focused down to the tiniest spot, and 405nm has the highest power density which is available in single mode diodes at much higher powers.

You also have to look at the absorbance characteristics of what you’re trying to burn. If the wavelength isn’t absorbed by the material, a lot of the power is going to be reflected or transmitted rather than converted to heat. Most likely the laser isn’t outputting as much power as it claims to, but absorbance spectrum can also come into play!