Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do laser diodes have a shelf life?

I was looking at the Wicked Laser webpage and they state that laser diodes have a shelf life of 3-4 years. Two of my beloved greenies (Dragonlaser & WL Krypton) are 2014 vintage. Can I expect them to die in the next few years? I barely use them (<1 minute/day), but try to operate them at least weekly...and keep them in a cool and dry environment.

Here is the link: http://support.wickedlasers.com/hc/...7-What-is-the-expected-lifetime-of-the-laser-

Last edited:

Cel

I have no idea why would they deteriorate if not used (I am thinking about canned diodes). :thinking:

Of course, if stored properly.

Last edited:

GSS

There are some threads as to DPSS 532 lasers crystals deterioration over time and losing output but I realize your asking about direct diodes.

Last edited:

Razako

I think 532nm laser crystals can degrade over time. I don't know about diodes though. I do know that my 8 year old RPL has lost a substantial amount of power for some reason.

94Z28

Not sure about just sitting and being unused but I do know that when we apply heat to semiconductor based diodes we are shortening the life of them.

More heat = shorter life. Hence why proper heatsink is so crucial to our builds. This is key to keeping your diode alive for a good period of time.

Bullshit. I've got several diode lasers over 10 years old that are just fine. There are millions of commercial barcode scanners that are several decades old.

Yeah, they're just blowing smoke. Solid state lasers of all kinds don't generally deteriorate on the shelf....like...at all if they're built right. some degrade with moisture, but not in any laser you're going to be buying likely. So...yeah, I call bullshit too. I have diodes from long ago that are as old as I am, that still work fine.

Last edited: