Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DLP projectors laser diodes extracted red and green?

Benm

I've read many people think the quality of the picture is junk with the original projector. So I'd assume starting with crap, will only end in worst crap.

Depends on what you want it for. I suppose you can even run it as a projector for powerpoints and stuff in a small room with only 6 of the diodes left. If you could replace them somehow with a blue LED, spend $50 on that and $50 on a harvested projector, you could have something very nice for presentations at a bargain.

I don't think this projector was ever intended as a quality home cinema, nor will it ever be.

Last edited:

The newer models are actually using a blue LED for the blue light and the blue lasers diodes for fluorescing the green phosphor wheel.

Peace,
dave

:can:

I can see that being plausible. Perhaps LEDs can't get the lux high enough on that phosphor for enough usable green.

Things

but I did see someone using 6 diodes instead of the original 24 and the picture was still decent if a bit dim.

DSCF1109.jpg

That's with only 5 diodes. All the red had to be turned down, both in the projector menu itself and the graphics card, but colour balance is pretty decent. A little washed out though.

A LED will never focus smaller than the original emitter element, all 24 lasers 24W+ focus to about 1.5mm on the phosphor disc, the LED emitter chip for say a 5W output blue is about 2mm. What you could possibly do is combine say 6 laser diodes with a blue LED with a collimator and you'll possibly end up with a better white balance although lower overall brightness. This would be difficult to do with current device configurations though.