Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY wax coating for aluminum parts / hosts

I received "Double AA" host :p yesterday and I have to say it looks and feels really nice.
-I was a bit suprised how light host was.. I've been using tooling aluminum (AlCuMgPb) which is much heavier.

I polished all host parts with Buffing wheels / Felt Dishes
(with small amount polishing compound bar)

buffing-wheel-6in.jpg

Then I washed polishing compound residues away and left part to dry for a while.

_1270428.jpg

_1270430.jpg

_1270441.jpg

_1270442.jpg

_1270444.jpg

_1270445.jpg

After spreading wax, I left parts / wax to dry for an 1 hour.

_1270449.jpg

_1270454.jpg

_1270455.jpg

_1270465.jpg

-After wax layer is dry, you can make final polishing with soft cotton towel.

_1270475.jpg

_1270477.jpg

_1270479.jpg

Beeswax & Carnauba Wax coating prevents aluminum oxidation and keeps host surface shiny & glossy.
-Always remember that, Wax treatment should be done regularly.

You can find Beeswax & Carnauba Wax probably from every hardware store.
I recommend to look for low Viscosity / liquid wax, it will make your wax treatment a lot easier.

And this surface treatment is 100% natural & Non-toxic

NOTE!
-DO NOT USE Beeswax & Carnauba Wax to Brass or Copper parts!!

:beer:

Have you found the addition of wax to the surface of aluminum hosts diminishes the ability to release the heat into the air? That would be my primary concern. Even though aluminum oxidizes, it doesn't tarnish the way copper does so I wonder if the addition of wax is worth the restriction of releasing heat into the air. :thanks:

Have you found the addition of wax to the surface of aluminum hosts diminishes the ability to release the heat into the air? That would be my primary concern. Even though aluminum oxidizes, it doesn't tarnish the way copper does so I wonder if the addition of wax is worth the restriction of releasing heat into the air. :thanks:

I doubt it will affect little or any to heat release..

What happens when you get wax on copper or brass?

Beeswax and carnauba wax is slightly acidic, so it will speed up a little bit copper/brass natural oxidation.
But you can also find pH neutral waxes like Renaissance Wax >> for an example and they are suitable for copper & brass. It's also bit more pricey..

65ml RENAISSANCE WAX $16.00
150ml Beeswax and carnauba wax is only $3.00

Last edited:
Thanks, Tero. Since this host was made for the NUBM44, it has got to release a lot of waste heat, so that is why it is a concern. It seems to have a good surface area to the heat sink with the fins deeper than what you usually see. Will have to see when I finish my build. I've been waiting to see how others deal with the alignment problem so I don't have to search for a way to make it work.

Hey wait a second..
Why's BobMc & RB Dundee's Museums are not listed here..
roll_floor.gif

screenshot-restorationproduct.com-2018.08.10-08-36-02.png

Interesting and thanks for the tip. Al does stay nicely polished though, possibly due to the waxes in the polishing bars? And the fact that Al initially forms a thin colourless oxide coating which protects the surface ;) A neutral wax however would definitely be a very good idea for a newly polished Cu or Brass host!

Nice polishing btw! :beer:

Last edited: