Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Module

Hi everyone, I am putting together the bits for a red dvd burner and am making as much as i can from odds and ends . I have looked on the forum for imformation on constructing a Module which I belive is a heatsink to hold the diode, and a adjustable end to mount the lens. I was going to make and fit the driver behind the Module. What i cannot find is the approx diemention from the diode face to the back of the lens. Can anyone tell me the measurement or point me to a build your own module topic.
Many thanks Mikey.. :)

I'd recommend making the heatsink module, putting the diode in, set the driver to desired current (using test load), attaching the driver and powering it up. then experimentally figure out where you want the lens to be. it depends on what distance you want the dot to be focused at to know what distance to put the lens at. I'd start at about 3 - 6mm though.

good luck.

take some pics,
Kendall

I am not disagreeing about the test load...but when i made a red module with a rkcstr driver and a stonetek diode...i just put the +probe on the + on the driver and the - probe on the negative driver and set it to 300mA and it still works perfectly to this day...any ideas? was i just lucky and didnt hurt my driver?

I have to say I do more or less the same thing as TMM, as I have had no problem with any Rkcstrs I have used, I set the output by reading the input ma.

A different story if I am building a driver though, dummy load every time.

Regards rog8811