Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

DIY Laser Guide Star

RB astro

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh wow I remember seeing that thread. I actually posted on it when I was like 4 months old on the forum:)
And where's the time gone Pete, huh?
😧

You were very articulate for a four month old, Peter. :LOL:
LOL Paul.
😂

Ok, here's another one, when I decided to melt the moon with a 1w greenie .... LOL

GSS

It feels just like yesterday Andrew doesn't it:unsure:
Beautiful pics:):):):):)

MEDDER

Great setup Medder (y)

Have a look through the thread (linked below) that I posted a few years ago and you'll see a photo of one of my scopes too.
At the top of the scope, you'll see my little 520nm pointer.
Thanks, you have a goregous setup as well. I hope to one day have a tak fsq-106 and take it down to the southern hemisphere.

Also for anyone watching this thread. I am going to build just a basic laser for a bit of testing (I assume laser power vs guide star brightness is linear). Trying to decide on a happy medium between power and beam quality. I am pretty much just shipping at DTR for the expensive bits btw, the BDR-209 is really tempting but sorta pushing it a bit being only 900ish mw and 405nm. Then of course there is the NUBM44-V2 and NDG7475 but they have absoluty terrrible divergece and I question if the 12x cylendrical lenses will be enough. Would something like a NDB7875 be a good fit, or is there some other one that you know of that might be a good option?

Here are the two graphs showing the quantum efficiency for my two cameras, the b&w one is more important being that it is my 'guide camera' that controlls the adaptive optics, the yellow one is my main imaging camera which I suppose I could use for testing.

Attachments