Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY DVD Burner Laser Checkup

Hello, everyone!
I am completely new to laser enthusiasm and want to build my first DVD-LD based module. I've just extracted LD (BTW, markings on it L96/5.1PU, where can I find data-sheet, maybe?) and it is working. I am planning to order AixiZ 650nm 5.0mW 12x30mm module for collimator and build simple LM317 driver. I am not obsessed with the power for now, just want things up and running, stable and for long time (that's why I need driver circuit :). Please, give me review of this setup, what can be changed, added or removed. Thanks.
Update: What safety goggles to buy? Does it matter to match wavelengths completely or 650 nm goggles will work fine for slightly different laser?

Last edited:

udanis

Hello, everyone!
I am completely new to laser enthusiasm and want to build my first DVD-LD based module. I've just extracted LD (BTW, markings on it L96/5.1PU, where can I find data-sheet, maybe?) and it is working. I am planning to order AixiZ 650nm 5.0mW 12x30mm module for collimator and build simple LM317 driver. I am not obsessed with the power for now, just want things up and running, stable and for long time (that's why I need driver circuit :). Please, give me review of this setup, what can be changed, added or removed. Thanks.

Do you know what speed the drive was? The manufacturer?