Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY "cheap" blue 20mw ?

Hello.

The beam combination of 405nm/20mw and 532nm/1mw would result in a 460nm/~21mw laser beam.

The needed componants (bought separately) wouldn't cost more than a 20mw blue laser, no ?

Ray.

They would appear blue, but then the 405nm would fluorence and then it would result in diffrent color beam and dot, which would be very strange, and BTW a 20mW NUV laser costs way more than a true blue.

Benm

a 20mW NUV laser costs way more than a true blue.

I would have to disagree on that... since its just a bluray laser diode that can be purchased for 10s of dollars. Perhaps it'd be a little short of 20 mW (10-15 or so), but otherwise no problem.

On the other hand, i doubt the mixed beam would look convincingly blue, and combining the beams using dichro's and all will be a pain in itself.

But by all means, try it! Let us know how it works, how it looks, how hard it was to align...And of course, LOTS of pics.

I don't know if it works that way. By the same calculations I could theoretically come up with some ratio of blue to red and come up with green.

This is an example of beam combination.

Sorry I can't post links yet, just cut and paste :
home.nordnet.fr/lhenninot/laser/insidelaser005-mini.jpg

Cube beam splitters are not that expensive, I'll try when my bluray LD is OK :)

Ray.