Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 11W(1.2W out) 365nm Led Torch .

Hey ,

This is something I started a while back but never finished , turned out pretty well ( I think xD ) as I have no access to lathes or mills it was made from sheet steel and tin snips and a drill .

Battery is a 6 cell 350mA/h Lithium ion polymer I made myself for individual cells and the driver is a RCD-0.7 ( 700ma ) .

The Led is from led engine and is rated for 11W input power with a Vf of 16.4 Volts and a operating current of 700mA , the rated light output is around 1.2 Watts .

The led is mounted to a head sink with a 40mm fan on the back and this seems to be just the right size for this led . The fan gets its 12 volts from the lithium cell and draws 100mA so i'm losing 1.2W in the regulator .

Pictures ! :D

IMG_0198 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0199 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0201 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0202 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0205 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0207 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Last edited:

Re: DIY 11W 365nm Led Torch .

i dig the industrial look, but i think it's a little misleading since the output is only 1/10th of what the thread title claims.

Hey ,

This is something I started a while back but never finished , turned out pretty well ( I think xD ) as I have no access to lathes or mills it was made from sheet steel and tin snips and a drill .

Battery is a 6 cell 350mA/h Lithium ion polymer I made myself for individual cells and the driver is a RCD-0.7 ( 700ma ) .

The Led is from led engine and is rated for 11W input power with a Vf of 16.4 Volts and a operating current of 700mA , the rated light output is around 1.2 Watts .

The led is mounted to a head sink with a 40mm fan on the back and this seems to be just the right size for this led . The fan gets its 12 volts from the lithium cell and draws 100mA so i'm losing 1.2W in the regulator .

Pictures ! :D

IMG_0198 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0199 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0201 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0202 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0205 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0207 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Last edited:

Turned out nice! I know how it feels to be without any semblance of physical construction capacity. Simple tasks become daunting when all you have are snips and a drill.

I like seeing spare parts being used. I thought you chopped up a metal box, but you built that with sheet metal, nice! Also, I think I have those same case screws ;)

Generally speaking, LEDs, when referenced as a certain Watt LED, are described based on input power. Output power is usually only referenced for InGaN wavelengths.

I remember when the only high power UV LED on the block was the prohibitively expensive Nichia power LEDs. Do the LEDengine 365nm have a lot of visible leakage, or is it fairly "dim" when not shining on fluorescent items?

Next step, find a reflector for it, and maybe epoxy some glass on the front to protect LED from dust and debris.

edit: just flickerstalked your photos, you are a true tinkerer!!! I would pay to walk around that room for an hour

Last edited:

i dig the industrial look, but i think it's a little misleading since the output is only 1/10th of what the thread title claims.

Thanks :p , Well in most cases the led is described based on its input power , so that's why the title says 11W , even though the optical output is 1.2W , But ill add the 1.2W output into the thread title .

Turned out nice! I know how it feels to be without any semblance of physical construction capacity. Simple tasks become daunting when all you have are snips and a drill.

Thanks :D , Yeah its not very fun in sometimes , felt like it to ages to make the case :p

I like seeing spare parts being used. I thought you chopped up a metal box, but you built that with sheet metal, nice! Also, I think I have those same case screws ;)

Generally speaking, LEDs, when referenced as a certain Watt LED, are described based on input power. Output power is usually only referenced for InGaN wavelengths.

I remember when the only high power UV LED on the block was the prohibitively expensive Nichia power LEDs. Do the LEDengine 365nm have a lot of visible leakage, or is it fairly "dim" when not shining on fluorescent items?

Next step, find a reflector for it, and maybe epoxy some glass on the front to protect LED from dust and debris.

edit: just flickerstalked your photos, you are a true tinkerer!!! I would pay to walk around that room for an hour

Thanks :D , took a while to make the case , simple as it is :p , the case screws do come In handy since the case is long gone :p . They do seem to emit abit of white light but the visible leakage seems low overall .

That's my next plan , reflector and cover , I have used a AR coated lens from one of the big die red leds to focuses this led and it gives a fairly good result .

haha Thanks , I do like to tinker :p .

Last edited:

i think it's a little misleading since the output is only 1/10th of what the thread title claims.

Just wait until you hear how your 60W tungsten lamps are rated... or any light bulbs for that matter. ;)

Last edited:
Update :D , Ive added a front to the torch with a lens , the lens is from the big die red led's and is attached to the front by artic thermal glue ( its all I had ) .

The front is then held in place by screws that attach to the heatsink the led is on . The copper tape and some glue seal the led inside away from dust and stuff .

With this lens the output is 4 squares that are the same shape as the dies inside the led .

Pictures - 365nm Vs fluorescent acrylic

IMG_0208 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0209 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0213 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0214 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0215[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

IMG_0217[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr