Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Distance Competition :D

As all of us probably don't have high spec cameras lets share our experiences out in the real world.

Lets see how this goes, hopefully you guys here can take part : )

I'll start...

O-like 400 532 (old style)

3.46 Miles - on a lighthouse :) <- Furthest distance tested (taken from google earth)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it says competition but you don't actually win anything heheh

Feel free to post pictures or videos.. Anything goes, I guess someone with a x10 beam expander will take the cake!

-Paul

Last edited:

I already posted my experiment in another thread... I can repeat the details...

Using a 200mw 532nm and a 5mw 532nm. Targets were a radio tower about 675 meters away, and a watertower a little more than 1 Km away.

On the watertower, the green spot from the 5mw was readily visible, but not what I would call "bright". The green spot from the 200mw was *bright*. My impression is that if I had a target "sigificantly farther away", the 200mw would still "do well".

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/s...laser-beam-travel-night-65598.html#post942508

So are you using the criteria of clearly observable by the naked eye or do you use other optics to verify your results ?

With an optically modified for lower divergence 5mw green laser pointer I was able to see the spot on a building using a 20x50 spotting scope @ 18,000 feet.

Naked eye viewing using my 121mw green laser also optically modified for lower divergence I can see a spot on a light colored building @ 15,000 feet.

ixfd64

Back in 2009, a member posted about using an RPL-450 to put a dot on Mt. Jefferson at about 35 miles away, although it was done with a beam expander. It was also possible to see the dot at that distance, meaning that it was possible to see the laser from at least 70 miles away. I imagine that the laser would be visible from a couple hundred of miles (or more) away if one were to look directly at the source (as opposed to a reflection).

Anyways, here is the thread in question: http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/35-mile-laser-shoot-40481.html

My personal record: I've been able to put a dot on low-lying clouds, which were probably no more than three miles above the ground.

Last edited:

TuhOz

My Krypton III can point up to satellite! :p
jk....lol.

My most powerful laser is 5mW Red atm and it can point over 100 meters at night. he he

My county is divided by a set of hills, and my freind lives in a town 15 miles away, from which you can clearly see the hills.

At night he was in his town and I was on the hills with a few mates.

I shone it, he could see the beam.

Obviously the dot would have been huge if I could keep it very still, but because small movements on the handheld mean huge movements at distances obviously it was difficult to see any real dot.

At that distance it would have been huge anyway.

(county not a typo)

(and it was a 445 1.4W)