Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

discharging a flex drive v4

S

schmag

well I made my test load last night. I am quite proud of it looks good and works awesome as well.
after that I decided to juice up the current going to my diode on my red so I took it all apart and hooked it up to my test load and it read 180 just like I figured it would. I adjusted the pot on the flexdrive to where I was at 200. disconnected everything and the WITHOUT power on the flex I shorted the two output leads on the driver. (figured that if the cap was parallel in the flex like it is in the ddl) this should discharge the cap.
well I connected everything back up and nothing. no laser :yabbem:
is that the proper way to discharge the flex. how long should it take? most of the time caps will discharge in an instant.

any idea what else may have killed my diode?

thanks
Jeremy

hmmm basically what is your red laser diode?? is that an LPC diode?

there is a possibility that your diode was killed when you are disassembling the laser..

Static things can kill the diode too.

please provide pictures of your diode as well as more information. We will help you ASAP.

S

schmag

well the diode was advertised as a mitsubishi diode with a 210mA nominal. I had originally powered it at 180 and all was good. another thing I suppose that would have helped in diagnosing this is I can't remember if it was before the first attempt or after that I had dropped it. I know they can be quite sensitive to shock.
the diode I am not to worried about I guess it worked good I could burn stuff with it and view the dot for quite a distance but you know they die it happens, I have more on the way.
is that the right way to discharge the flex or is there a better way. I don't want to try to rip off drlava the flex drive is the greatest thing since sliced bread but this sure would be easier with a schematic of the bugger.
thanks for the help.
Jeremy

all check all your connections to make sure there is no extra solder touching anything it shouldnt be.

make sure the caps and resistors near the power connections didnt come off either. theyre TINY..

S

schmag

well the driver is functioning as far as I can see perfectly when connected to the test load.
is connecting the two output leads on the driver without power connected the correct way to discharge that cap? (if the cap is in parallel with the output like the ddl driver that should do it) it may benefit from having a resistor in series when you discharge it but I don't think it would hurt it either way.
if this is the correct way to drain the cap. the diode prolly died when it was dropped.