Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

disassembling the axiz and dvd-laser?

wretan

HOWDY and thank´s for a superb forum! (I´m new here!)

I recently bought a axiz-module and a dvd-burner (NEC (16x)) and I´m about to get started on this exciting project!

Probably I would have to make my own driver as Daedal´s diode driver but before that I have two problems. The first is that I can´t get the dvd-laser off the small metal-casing (red arrow in the picture) and second I can´t get the axiz module off the axiz metal-casing (green arrow). HOW do I do this without damaging the lasers??

I have tried to search the forum for an answer but I not sure were to look. Have anyone an answer to what I should do?

With best regards
Wretan

You'll probably have to very carefuly chew off the heatsink from the 16x diode using a pair of end cutters/nippers.

Like this one, but smaller: http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-3...7-3890442?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1189718378&sr=1-12

The heat sink is probably soft aluminum, so it shouldn't be too hard to chew off carefully in small bites. You could also  use a Dremel tool with a diamond bit or cutoff wheel, or just save the Dremel for the end once you've nipped away most of the heatsink..

Hint, if you don't have a Dremel, DON'T buy the cordless ones. High RPM devices just don't last long off of ANY battery technology. Get a corded one. RC aircraft use rather dangerous Lithium Polymer batteries, but even they get only a few minutes of flying time between recharges and those batteries can cost hundreds of dollars. The cheezy NiCd or maybe NiMh that will come with a cordless Dremel will last for about 5 minutes of grinding.

Either way I'd probably GENTLY lay a piece of Scotch tape over the lens apature so it sticks to the metal diode cap, but not touch the lens recessed just below the surface first, to prevent any dust or shavings from getting on there.

The Aixiz diode in the housing is just a tight press-fit, it can be carefully pressed out in the direction of the lens using a small pin punch. The best way to press in the new diode is to use a tiny wrench socket that's just the right size, and slowly press the new diode in with a vise.

wretan

Great! Thank you AJ-Dual for your answer!!

I will try to chew the aluminum off carefully with a cutter, will see if I can get one small enough :)

Thanx for the Dremel-tip!

I´m not really sure if I understand in wich direction I will press the module from the axiz? Should I press ON the surface with the green arrow "downwards" in the picture or the other way? the front of the lasermodule seems to have a smaller diameter than the surface with the green arrow? I wouldn´t like to break it :)

Thanx!

regards
wretan

wretan

Oh, Hi again!

I did it! It was the way I supposed :) sometimes one have to take a chance :)

wretan

what do you guys think of this driver made for luxeon star LED (350mA)? too much current?
(sorry it´s in swedish but uses a LM317)

be aware of the spaces in w w w (not allowed to post urls)

w w w . kjell.com/content/templates/shop_main_details.aspx?item=87593&path=69800000,71600000,72400000

How much current should I give the dvd-diode? is 350mA to much?

Short answer= Yes unless you have a lot of heatsinking.
If the driver is in kit form you could substitute resistors to get lower current. If you're driving the LD without a heatsink I'd recommend around 150 mA.
Otherwise, if the driver is prebuilt, you will need to find something else, sorry.