Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode temperature Threshold?

Hey guys, i am planning to have a labby diode testing station, and so far, i have this:
WP_20140103_015_zps6bc62178.jpg

With an NMB-MAT 40mm fan from DTR.

I am hoping this will be enough cooling power for unlimited run time, but if not, i am planning to get a temperature monitor.

My question is, what temperature should i set
1) I am measuring the temp of the heatsink
2) I am measuring the back end of the aixis module (silver part)

as the temperature at which i should turn it off, with some breathing room.

(ex if the threshold temp is 100f, set it to 90f)

I tried looking it up with no success. Maybe the datasheets will tell me?

In which case i would need the M140 datasheet.

Thanks guys!
-Matt

sinner

That is a nice little labby setup, The active cooling with just the fan will be sufficient for most of the diodes I am not sure what the exact threshold temperatures you mentioned but I think you're comparing it with a actual labby (tec cooling) the thing about the tec cooling is you can always adjust the temperature(threshold/terminal) by increasing or decreasing the current/voltage but in this case you're depending on just the ambient temperature , you want to keep it close to the room temperature as possible in your case.

Cool thanks. Good info

I was more looking for at what temp will a diode die from overheating (why we have duty cycles) so I know when to turn it off.

Thanks
-Matt

The problem is that most of the time people are running their diodes above spec. Outside the spec, the diodes will vary in their resilience to heat, and you'll never really know how high they can go without actually killing the diode.

Another thing is that you'll need to read the temperature at the exact same spot and have the same heat removal conditions (i.e. convection conditions). Instead, you might want to have a peltier unit near the diode, and measure the temp nearly at the point where the diode resides, assuming that the peltier/heatsink will maintain the temperature to the desired point with some control system.