Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode specs and a stubborn heat sink

Is there a resource for matching a dvd-rw diode to the burner from which it came? I'm building my first burning laser, including the driver. As a chemist, I dont really know what I'm doing so Ill probably fail but at least I'll learn something. And once that happens, a way to match the pre made drive to my diode.

I have two drives: lite on 16x write smh-165h6s and HP 24x write dvd1270i.

I'm using the lite-on as practice, since I'm assuming (I know what happens when I assume) that the 24x is more powerfull.

On to the heat sink. I have the diode out but its still in the square heat sink. I don't want to force it so I'm inclined to use acetone to disolve the glue. Is there a better way?

To get the diode out the heatsink I just used a vice and a Jr hacksaw, just cut in to it carefully on both sides and use 2 long nose plies to twist them apart

Yes, even when twisting and forcing things around seems destructive, the twisting method is very effective. Its because the heatsink alloy is some type of Al-Mg or Al-Zn so its very brittle. It also burns like magnesium, which is fun lol.

TBH you better off buying a high powered red diode like the LPC-815 for like 7.5$
Saves time and more of a chance to have a working project

djayz

Dude it is not that complicated.. you just need to watch some youtube video.. i had the same problem and trust me its just a youtube video away.. search for extraction of diodes from sled XD i dont have the link.. but u can find plenty