Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Pressing Tool

SN P

Hi, was just wondering if anyone new whether or not a brass spacer, like this, would be suitable as a pressing tool. I was told that it would be fine by another laser enthusiast (not here) so just wanted to make sure before purchasing and putting it into application.
Thanks in advance

ARG

Anything with the right diameter will work fine. I used socket wrench bits to press 9mm diodes before I got a lathe.

1-4socket.jpg

SN P

Thanks, I thought that the press had to be a specific size to accommodate each diode rather than being able to use 1 for all sizes

ARG

It does have to be a specific size :) You can't use a 9mm diode press for a 3.8mm diode.

SN P

That's what I was referring to. I know that it is possible to buy individual presses for each size diode so I was wondering if spacer, like what I listed, would be suitable for all.

ARG

Ah, then the answer is no. It's very hard to get an evenly press a diode into a module with a press that is too small, and it's impossible if the press is too large.

SN P

Oh okay so the spacer that I linked wouldn't be suitable then?

IWIRE

Flaminpyro sells a nice set of press tools that work really well. I guess he still sells them, I bought a set a few months ago. He also had a stuck module extractor that is real handy, I've used it for about everything except removing a stuck module.

USAbro

What type can I use to extract a diode from a heat sink. Sorry for commenting on old post. Please no neg.
Can a link be provided to eBay or Amazon please for a suitable part?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Check out the post right above yours ^^^^^ , no need for ebay or amazon!
IWIRE's got it right, Flaminpyro's the way to go.

Last edited:

USAbro

For reasons I don't want to discuss, I can't buy from people on the forum now. Any other offers. Nothing against forum members.