Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

diode - case positive, driver - case negative

edy

I have an IR diode which is case positive and this driver and its outer ring is case negative. I am making a portable with direct-press heatsink. Hmm.. now I'm not sure how to put it together... Should I isolate the driver's outer ring with some glue/epoxy/silicone? Anyone had this problem before?

EDIT: well, I realised that the driver has not the two output wires just for fun. Looking into the schema, it seems that the LD has to be insulated. Hmm.

Last edited:

edy

To further illustrate the issue I made a diagram :)

It is clear that as it is, the diode + would be connected to battery -, which is bad. To insulate the diode, the whole heatsink has to be insulated. The driver is sitting inside and have to be insulated from it as well :-/

I noticed a thread with simmilar kind of issues.

So should I actually insulate everything, make the host neutral and put a wire between battery- and driver-? How would you guys do it?

Btw. here is the driver diagram:

It can be seen that it does not matter whether the diode is case positive or negative, either way it has to be kept separate from host = driver- = battery-.

Blord

You could use a host which is anodized. It will not electrically connected to the heatsink.
The Aurora C6 is such a host par example. Not the chrome version.

edy

You could use a host which is anodized. It will not electrically connected to the heatsink.
The Aurora C6 is such a host par example. Not the chrome version.

Never heard of such an option :) I will use WF-501B (link), how can I determine if it is anodized?

Last edited:

Blord

The 501B is anodized aluminium. Test it with a DMM if there is electrical connection between heatsink and host.