Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode and Driver connection, Is this normal ?

My "Thor" lasers diode case lead is connected to the laser driver in the same place as the positive lead ???

Most all diode info data sheets say the case lead is a no-connect ? What gives ?

Last edited:

diachi

One of the two connected wires is the case lead, the other is the anode or cathode. Which it is depends on what sort of diode that is. If it's a 532nm green laser or IR laser then it's likely case positive, thus that second pin is the anode. If it's case negative, i.e. pretty much any other handheld then it's the cathode. You can tell if the case is positive or negative by which way the battery goes in, if the positive end is towards the driver then it's case negative.

EDIT - I cleaned up my posts into one........

Actually this is the exact drive I have....

1pc 5.5V 0.5-1.5A Power Drivers for 500mW-800mW-1W 405nm~450nm Blue Laser Diode | eBay

One of the two connected wires is the case lead, the other is the anode or cathode. Which it is depends on what sort of diode that is. If it's a 532nm green laser or IR laser then it's likely case positive, thus that second pin is the anode. If it's case negative, i.e. pretty much any other handheld then it's the cathode. You can tell if the case is positive or negative by which way the battery goes in, if the positive end is towards the driver then it's case negative.

As far as I can tell just about every makers of laser diode's data sheet says the case lead is a "no connect" or NC for short.....

s

So why is the case lead on mine diode connected with the positive ???

Mine has the "NC" and the "+" leads connected together on the driver ? Is this ok ?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry but I'm still confused, What does it mean if my positive case grounded (it is case positive) 445nm lasers diode is wired like this ? What type of diode is it ? (Pin 2 is fused to the diode case)

Last edited: