Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dino Direct Free Laser review

What do you think of this laser

• Awesome :p

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • it looks alright :)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • its a piece of craP

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Who cares its a free laser :p

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

I now have a permanent contract to dispose of all my school's dead and broken DVD drives.

:D :D

I know the school's techie well.

Each month they throw out 20 or so drives, because kids take out the rubber band, teachers use them as cup holders, or CDs explode inside them. They're all good drives, except with trashed internals. The sleds are usually always intact.

So one afternoon I just had a word to him, and he doesn't mind. The way we both see it is it's better than letting the drives go to waste, because there's plenty of electronics in there.

I keep the optics and some of the diodes, a friend gets the circuits and another gets diodes too.

What really got me though is two days before I spoke to him he threw about 20 out. :gun:

I'll be happy to drop you a few diodes in the mail if you wanted. Surely, between the two of us (me and that friend) we can't asplode that many diodes*.

*We claimed our first victim a few days ago. Direct drive, died after 10 minutes.

3V

Direct drive.

From 2 alkaline AAs.

Stupid idea, but we didn't have any sort of driver, not even a resistor.

I swear on my heart we will never so blatantly waste a diode in such a manner again.

Poor thing, the heatsink didn't even get a chance to warm up.

TTerbo

lol
ok i am going to extract sleds from the from the units i get for freee ;)

True.

But I don't work that way. I've been building computers since I was in year 3, and I've pretty much had to earn every bit of hardware I've used in my own boxes.

Not only that, I'm a spark gunzel (that's where the Goninan part comes from- look it up on Wikipedia) and it kills you inside to see graffiti, seating torn to shreds and windows scratched or smashed in completely.

It's just the way I've been influenced while I've been brought up. Even if I do benefit from it, I can't stand wastage/vandalism.

EDIT:Un-thread-jacking.

If you want to know my life story, we can continue via PM.

Last edited:
Both 28 mWs same spot size.

Really? Mine's way brighter than my metered DX 20mW. Its so bright I cant look at the dot for more than a few seconds indoors. I had to tweak the focus though. I brought the lens nut flush with the module top, and it looks OK. I'll get it metered and write a review once I settle in my new place.