Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Difference between lenses?? Gball/G2/G3/G7 etc.

Hmmm very interesting I'm very grateful for all the replies! What about when it comes to adding a focus to a diode with a gball? Is there a reason it can't be done or rather won't? Power loss? or would the beam but not focus right going through so many lenses? I thought a focusing adapter was merely slapped on. I figured light is light so a focus should work?

What do you mean by " adding a focus " ? Oh and you figured light is light huh......funny stuff, you should do stand up. As for an adaptor being slapped on..........I suspect someone was slapped on but maybe not enough.........eh?

If you are talking about using a lens such as G2/G3/3E/G7/G8 directly after the intact GBall of a nubm/nugm diode it won't work, I have tested all and the beam is too wide coming out of the factory intact GBall of a NUBM/NUGM diode.

If you are talking about removing the GBall can from a nugm/nubm diode and using a G2/G3/3E/G7/G8 lens that will work but the diode will not last nearly as long in the case of the nubm's but the nugm's appear to run with the GBall removed just fine using a G2/G3/3E/G7/G8 lens.

Now if you reduce the beam coming out of a GBall lens of a GBall intact NUBM diode with another GBall lens or a G2 ( turned around )then you can use a G2/G3/3E/G7/G8

I did use a 25mm PCX lens after a GBall lens on an intact GBall diode and was able to get a good focus from a few feet away to infinity.

Last edited:

DackJaniels

What do you mean by " adding a focus " ? Oh and you figured light is light huh......funny stuff, you should do stand up. As for an adaptor being slapped on..........I suspect someone was slapped on but maybe not enough.........eh?

If you are talking about using a lens such as G2/G3/3E/G7/G8 directly after the intact GBall of a nubm/nugm diode it won't work, I have tested all and the beam is too wide coming out of the factory intact GBall of a NUBM/NUGM diode.

If you are talking about removing the GBall can from a nugm/nubm diode and using a G2/G3/3E/G7/G8 lens that will work but the diode will not last nearly as long in the case of the nubm's but the nugm's appear to run with the GBall removed just fine using a G2/G3/3E/G7/G8 lens.

Now if you reduce the beam coming out of a GBall lens of a GBall intact NUBM diode with another GBall lens or a G2 ( turned around )then you can use a G2/G3/3E/G7/G8

I did use a 25mm PCX lens after a GBall lens on an intact GBall diode and was able to get a good focus from a few feet away to infinity.
I wasn't trying to be rude or funny. It was a genuine question. I was under the impression that a focus was a seperate adapter with its own set of lenses that was put on top of the diode and its own lens but from reading the way you replied, I guess its not. I'm not too knowledgeable about how these devices are built which is why I'm asking all these questions.

I wasn't trying to be rude or funny. It was a genuine question. I was under the impression that a focus was a seperate adapter with its own set of lenses that was put on top of the diode and its own lens but from reading the way you replied, I guess its not. I'm not too knowledgeable about how these devices are built which is why I'm asking all these questions.

OhhKay, well I am glad that you're curious but surprised you made a thread not having any of these diodes and lenses in hand, most people here dive in head 1st and ask questions once they are already thoroughly enthralled.

Traditionally a laser diode like this has either had no can or a window can.......actually these blues used to pump phosphor had been window can covered and needed only a single collimating lens, but these lens cans are less common and were used in place of window cans presenting us repurposers with a dilemma, remove the lens can and deal with reduced lifespan or find a way to use them intact.
Concepts have been floated about recovering the diodes but there seems to be a backfill gas as well so making use of these as is would be good as I expect future diodes of this type could be in this format.

----edit----
You will want to make use of the search bar top right of the main page as some people can get upset if asked to spoon feed info, we are somewhat expected to educate ourselves at least on the fundamentals before asking questions. Have fun. :)

Last edited: