Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Did anyone have any experience with Information Unlimited and LaserDIY?

Information Unlimited seems to have a huge catalog of lasers of every kind, while LaserDIY seems not to require you to have a Paypal account to buy from them, which would make it preferrable to Stonetek. Did anyone have any experience in buying lasers from them? What is their service like? And the quality of their products?

You would do a lot better (price wise) by buying from O-Like or Rayfoss or DX...
I've only dealt with Information Unlimited is the past (10 years ago) for other
electronic Projects.. and got what I paid for at the time..

BTW... Welcome to the Forum...

Don't forget to read the New Member section and the Forum Rules...
Enjoy the Forum...:)

Jerry

I visited the Information Unlimited website just now... Phew! If I were rich, I would have ten watts of pure blue laser awesomeness for a mere $60K... I hope there's a warranty on these! :eek:

I think I'll stick with the PHR and GGW projects for now though... more in my "budget"... :D

Robert

AndyM

Information Unlimited has an AMAZING deal on a blu ray pointer. An amazing 2mw of 405nm light for a measly $300! Better get that deal while it lasts. :crackup: :crackup:

The laser pointers on Information Unlimited are made by other companies, some of their images look like those on the CNI site. But prices are pretty steep - they have a 10mw yellow which looks very much like the one I got in Glenn's CNI GB (and oddly they say it isn't available to buyers in the US, something to do with patent issues) but I paid about 2/3 of that!

If you are looking for quality blues and yellows especially at a good price you might want to check out Glenn's (Scopeguy) group buys in that section.

On another note, I do have one of their (Information Unlimited) CO2 lasers, which I did not buy from them, which I purchased 2nd hand on Ebay for a good savings off what they charge for it. It was one of those that they sell either as a kit or an assembled unit, but I don't know if it was purchased assembled or the Ebay seller had bought the kit and assembled it. Whatever the case it works well and seems to be well-made.

But price-wise, you're better off looking elsewhere unless you've got the money to burn.

IU have been around forever. I can remember them from the 1970's. They have always seemed to collect and repackage existing information, for a significant cost. I remember a "Ruby Laser Handgun" plan for $10 back then that was one page photocopy of a hand drawn original showing a ruby rod, flashlamp, etc. No photos or any supplier info for the rod or tube. No detailed construction, operation, or safety info either. They will not normally be the cheapest reliable supplier for a given item, but they will send you what you buy. Check out LPF's 'buy sell trade" and "group buy" sections. O-like, Rayfoss, even DX are good options. Check out our "reviews" and "companies" sections. People who are new to lasers, teslas, etc., will buy from WL and IU, but once they gain experience in the hobby, move on to better suppliers and better deals.

You would do a lot better (price wise) by buying from O-Like or Rayfoss or DX...
DX, as in DealExtreme?
I've only dealt with Information Unlimited is the past (10 years ago) for other
electronic Projects..
I dealt with them once too, in 2006. But recently they took the habit of not replying to my email enquiries about other products they sell, so I was wondering if they still exist/ship their stuff/etc.

Yes, when we say DX we are referring to Dealextreme. When you buy from DX, do not be in a hurry to receive the goods. You will receive them, but it can be a test of human patience sometimes ...

LaserDIY prices aren't very good, and they claim that 405nm is "blue". You will be better off just buying stuff around the forum for much cheaper.

Doofus

LaserDIY prices aren't very good, and they claim that 405nm is "blue". You will be better off just buying stuff around the forum for much cheaper.

Try using search, not being mean, just saying I was reading a thread earlier this week about how LaserDIY was incredibly overpriced. Being completely ignorant as I am, I learned a lot through that trusty search bar :D

I realize this is an old thread but I felt I needed to join and warn others about information unlimited.
DON'T waste your money. I bought a deterrent from them, it arrives with a broken on/off switch which allowed the unit to emit a piercing 10khz sound if the button is inadvertently pushed, no trigger guard.

After finally reaching "Rick" I was told "you could just not push the button".
When I pointed out this was dangerous and unit was sent to me broken, I was told in a condescending voice "well you can send it back and we will put in a new switch for you"

So after send out a non tested, defective piece of equipment as new. I'm expected to pay shipping costs back to them so they can fix what should have been right in the first place???

Don't waste YOUR time and money like me. Avoid information unlimited! Don't let yourself or any of your friends get scammed into buying overpriced junk.

If anyone is wondering the "deterrent" is useless against birds and dogs just cock their heads or start barking. Absolutely useless.

Jim

I have one of the ultrasonic pistols from them, frequency range goes up beyond 40kHz. Works excellent for dogs including coyotes. I got it about 10 years ago from Bob Ianni himself though.

I don't doubt you got a good product 10yrs ago.

As with a lot of US companies, those that took over from Bob threw quality and service out the window for a quick buck.

The current model deterrent only reaches 25khz and is built with inferior components.

I'd hang on to the unit you have as the company is currently only producing low quality products.

Jim

I didn't know that someone took over for Bob, that is a shame. If that is the case I can understand problems now.