Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Death of a "training lens"

Just for fun :shhh:

For those that don't know, a training lens is what wicked lasers calls a ND filter that blocks 80% of light. I have no use for mine, so I wanted to see how much power it could take. Not much above 1W it turns out. I fired my HGM through it and didn't even get up to half power before it cracked. :(

Hmm... keep going? :eg: Full power >4W at 32A tube current:

It melted enough to leave an indent in the surface and act as a lens instead of a window. It's tough to see, but the light is reflecting off the indent here: big photo.

But why stop there? We need to be sure it's deceased. I don't want any undead optics in my house. CO2 laser full power: 60W :gun:

The result: big photo. That's more like it. :D

Gas lasers sure are a thing of beauty. Don't hesitate to post more vids of yours, hehe.

I think its quite understandable...
Why spend the extra $$ for a ND filter that can take 4Watts
if the Laser you sell never gets to 1Watt....:whistle:

Jerry

^ totally agree!

Awesome videos!

Last edited:
Mmmm 4W argon :drool: I would have bought one myself but I fear my electric bill...
I wonder if one of those lenses would crack using an up-to-spec 1W 445nm.. hm... I'll look for my lens.

Awesome videos by the way!

Mmmm 4W argon :drool: I would have bought one myself but I fear my electric bill...
I wonder if one of those lenses would crack using an up-to-spec 1W 445nm.. hm... I'll look for my lens.

Awesome videos by the way!

It probably would crack :evil:.

That Argon is beautiful. :wave:

vk2fro

4W of argon?!?! :drool: is it multiline or single line?

oh and a cheapy little ND filter has no hope against an argon, let alone a 60W CO2 :)

It's multi-line. The vast majority of argons over 100mW are multi-line or at least line-selectable.

vk2fro

Cool - nice little bit of trivia - you learn something new every day.

Nice laser by the way *grin*