Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DealExtreme 200mW "Dilda" Version 2/New Head review.

SHIPPING
Ordered on the 19th July 2009. Received it on the 27th of AUGUST.
I'm not too happy about that but when you've got free shipping there really isn't much you can do, nor can you really complain.

PACKAGING
The box it came is is really flimsy. I mean, a bag of sugar would crush it. Its that bad. And as you can see below, it came in a really terrible condition. The bottom of the box was tearing off and a smidge of the black card tore off. However, its clear that this box isn't meant to protect the laser, merely used as a decorative case, like when its a present to a mate. Still, what will he think when he sees the box looking like that? I'm not too happy.

DSC06133.jpg

DSC06135.jpg

DSC06137.jpg

CONDITION
The body itself was flawless. No scratches, dings or imperfections. The tail switch however makes a slight rattle when shaking it. Not too much of a problem though. Now, the new redesigned head. That gave me quite a problem when i first unboxed it. I've used my mate's Dilda Version 1 so i guess i can make a comparison. If that's Capitalism, this is definitely Communism. The old Dilda's head was so loose, any movement could move the lens and bring it out of focus. This however, took more than muscle to wrestle it. Turning the focusing head's literally painful (I've got abrasions on my thumb and forefinger). Worst part is, there is a region where its smooth. Then the stiff part comes in rather abruptly. Annoying to put it nicely. Its smoothed out a little after moving it around for a bit.

DSC06139.jpg

DSC06140.jpg

DSC06141.jpg

DSC06142.jpg

DSC06143.jpg

That's not the end of it. After turning the head for a bit i noticed that the beam wasn't focusing. Took the head off and i saw the lens screwed on to the body! (The body, lens and head have threads) No matter, i used a pair of needle-nose pliers and i pinched it and screwed it back into the head. Works fine ever since.

The pair of CR2 batteries that came with it was covered in sticky paste. Disgusting to touch and had plenty of nose. Didn't like it.

PERFORMANCE
Well this is my first real high powered laser and i can't make any comparison other than with the previous Dilda. However its gonna be a waste of time as they both light matches, smoke leather, plastics, black tape and other various things pretty instantly when in focus. Too close to tell the difference.

DSC06144.jpg

DSC06145.jpg

The unfocused dot is a little dirty, doesn't really bug me though as i'll probably be using it in focus most of the time anyway.

DSC06146.jpg

Beam at night is a brilliant scarlet red, goes on farther than i can see. Unfortunately it diverges like a torchlight at distance.

OVERALL
I like this laser a lot, because it delivers what i claims to do. I don't know if its under or overspec but it sure performs like what a 200mW should, i presume. Also because its really reasonable. Lets face it, 40 bucks for a 200mW red laser is quite a deal!

If you're planning to get one but unsure and looking at reviews, i say, go get it!
DSC06148.jpg

BEAMSHOTS!
No laser review's complete without beamshots so here goes!
DSC06154.jpg

DSC06156.jpg

Last edited:

I saw some of these pictures on Facebook. :D It looks like they changed the design of the laser slightly, the head is rounder than it was before.

Wow... you rate this as a good Laser to buy....
but you found nothing but negatives about it...

Quite contradictory as a review...:thinking:

Jerry

Pointing out the negatives. They're like the odd mosquito. Annoying but not reason enough to call off the camping trip ;)

They don't bug me enough to warrant a "money not well spent" label.

I saw some of these pictures on Facebook. :D It looks like they changed the design of the laser slightly, the head is rounder than it was before.

They tried to dilda'ed this one too!

Good pics man, I hate it when the boxes come unglued and with faulty corners :(

After turning the head for a bit i noticed that the beam wasn't focusing. Took the head off and i saw the lens screwed on to the body! (The body, lens and head have threads)
Could you upload a couple of pictures of that, showing how the lens was screwed on initially and where you put it instead? And also a picture of the battery charger plug?

Happy to oblige!
DSC06149.jpg
DSC06150.jpg

DSC06151.jpg

Sorry for the blur pictures, only had 1 hand to hold the camera.

Anyway i snapped the o-ring when removing the head :/
Need to order some from DX.

Last edited:

YGG

Yeah the head on mine is not as round and has finer knurling, take a look
photo24m.jpg

Great review and pictures. Nice laser you have there.. I noticed in the picture under overall performance, your lighting that match quite close. The smoke from the burning match can be seen in the shot and will make your lens dirty. This may explain some of the uncleanliness on the unfocused dot and could reduce your power. Just thought Id add that.. Great laser, I need to buy one soon. Arggh what an expensive hobby.

-Greg

Ivan

Yeah root your pics took like a min each to load, but anyways nice pics.